2013-03-04 12:58:25

by Sedat Dilek

Subject: [www.k.o] Let tar.xz be the default tarball on the main-page?

Hi,

it is still tar.bz2 the default tarball for downloading.
As modern Linux-kernel versions exists also as tar.xz which is smaller
and causes less Internet traffic.
Save the planet :-)!

Regards,
- Sedat -

P.S.: First line of the main-page (here: mainline)

mainline: 3.9-rc1 2013-03-03 [tar.bz2] [pgp] [patch] [view
patch] [gitweb]

2013-03-05 18:38:49

by Konstantin Ryabitsev

On 04/03/13 07:58 AM, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it is still tar.bz2 the default tarball for downloading.
> As modern Linux-kernel versions exists also as tar.xz which is smaller
> and causes less Internet traffic.
> Save the planet :-)!

I think I'll go ahead and do that, if only because some time down the
line I'd like to stop making everything available as [.gz|.bz2|.xz] and
eliminate bz2 altogether. Switching main page links to .xz will help me
accomplish this goal in some distant future.

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator

Attachments:
signature.asc (730.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2013-03-05 18:52:55

by Sedat Dilek

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 04/03/13 07:58 AM, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it is still tar.bz2 the default tarball for downloading.
>> As modern Linux-kernel versions exists also as tar.xz which is smaller
>> and causes less Internet traffic.
>> Save the planet :-)!
>
> I think I'll go ahead and do that, if only because some time down the
> line I'd like to stop making everything available as [.gz|.bz2|.xz] and
> eliminate bz2 altogether. Switching main page links to .xz will help me
> accomplish this goal in some distant future.

Yupp, tar.bz2 support should be dropped entirely.

- Sedat -