2006-03-30 16:35:53

by George Nychis

Subject: cannot get clean 2.4.20 kernel to compile

Hi,

I have downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org, have checked its sign, and no matter what I try I cannot get it to compile.

I do a make mrproper, I then do make dep which is fine, but then i try "make bzImage modules modules_install", selecting all the defaults, and get an SMP header error:
http://rafb.net/paste/results/QzIq7v86.html

I then disable SMP support and get:
http://rafb.net/paste/results/muYA9t12.html

I even tried using my config from the 2.4.32 kernel which works perfectly fine, and I also get the sched errors.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Using a different kernel is not an option, I need to use the 2.4.20 kernel for a project that a module was written and tested on.

Thanks!
Geirge

2006-03-31 01:11:38

by Robert Hancock

Subject: Re: cannot get clean 2.4.20 kernel to compile

George P Nychis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org, have checked its sign, and no matter what I try I cannot get it to compile.
>
> I do a make mrproper, I then do make dep which is fine, but then i try "make bzImage modules modules_install", selecting all the defaults, and get an SMP header error:
> http://rafb.net/paste/results/QzIq7v86.html
>
> I then disable SMP support and get:
> http://rafb.net/paste/results/muYA9t12.html
>
> I even tried using my config from the 2.4.32 kernel which works perfectly fine, and I also get the sched errors.

What gcc version? Some old kernels might not be buildable with newer
compilers.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]

by Sumit Narayan

>From the error output 1, it appears that your directory include/asm is
not a link to include/linux. Can you check that?

Otherwise, simply delete the directory include/asm and re-compile the
kernel from start; it should work.

-- Sumit

On 3/31/06, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:
> George P Nychis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org, have checked its sign, and no matter what I try I cannot get it to compile.
> >
> > I do a make mrproper, I then do make dep which is fine, but then i try "make bzImage modules modules_install", selecting all the defaults, and get an SMP header error:
> > http://rafb.net/paste/results/QzIq7v86.html
> >
> > I then disable SMP support and get:
> > http://rafb.net/paste/results/muYA9t12.html
> >
> > I even tried using my config from the 2.4.32 kernel which works perfectly fine, and I also get the sched errors.
>
> What gcc version? Some old kernels might not be buildable with newer
> compilers.
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/
>
> -

by Randy Dunlap

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Sumit Narayan wrote:

> >From the error output 1, it appears that your directory include/asm is
> not a link to include/linux. Can you check that?
>
> Otherwise, simply delete the directory include/asm and re-compile the
> kernel from start; it should work.

Nope, include/asm is an expected directory (symlink) in 2.4.x build.
This is what you get without out:

make: *** No rule to make target `/var/linsrc/linux-2420/include/asm/param.h', needed by `/var/linsrc/linux-2420/include/linux/sched.h'. Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

--
~Randy

2006-03-31 17:26:29

by George Nychis

I see...

here is my gcc version:
gcc version 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)

Is it too new?

Thanks!
George

> George P Nychis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org, have checked
>> its sign, and no matter what I try I cannot get it to compile.
>>
>> I do a make mrproper, I then do make dep which is fine, but then i try
>> "make bzImage modules modules_install", selecting all the defaults, and
>> get an SMP header error: http://rafb.net/paste/results/QzIq7v86.html
>>
>> I then disable SMP support and get:
>> http://rafb.net/paste/results/muYA9t12.html
>>
>> I even tried using my config from the 2.4.32 kernel which works
>> perfectly fine, and I also get the sched errors.
>
> What gcc version? Some old kernels might not be buildable with newer
> compilers.
>
> -- Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada To email, remove "nospam" from
> [email protected] Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

by George Nychis

Actually that helped, i had no linux symlink, after creating it, i got alot further into the build, however now i get:
In file included from ide-cd.c:318:
ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for `slot_tablelen'
make[3]: *** [ide-cd.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/drivers/ide'

Any more ideas? :)