2013-05-17 00:37:00

by Chris Jones

Subject: Linux source tree size difference issue

I have cloned the Linux kernel source tree locally. It comes in at
approx. ~500MB. I have then created another git repository to push the
source to for my own work. I rsynced the tree locally to another
directory and now I am currently pushing it in to the new repository and
it's at 58% and is already at 525MB.

I can not understand the stark difference in source and directory size.
Running diff tells me both local source tree directories are exactly the
same.

Can anyone explain this in layman's terms?

--

Chris Jones

Founder and Lead Software Architect
Paradise Software

by Roland Eggner

Subject: Re: Linux source tree size difference issue

On 2013-05-17 Friday at 10:20 +1000 Chris Jones wrote:
> I have cloned the Linux kernel source tree locally. It comes in at
> approx. ~500MB. I have then created another git repository to push the
> source to for my own work. I rsynced the tree locally to another
> directory and now I am currently pushing it in to the new repository and
> it's at 58% and is already at 525MB.
>
> I can not understand the stark difference in source and directory size.
> Running diff tells me both local source tree directories are exactly the
> same.
>
> Can anyone explain this in layman's terms?

$ LC_ALL=C du --help | grep -E -e 'apparent|sparse|fragmentation'
--apparent-size print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage; although
the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be
larger due to holes in ('sparse') files, internal
fragmentation, indirect blocks, and the like
-b, --bytes equivalent to '--apparent-size --block-size=1'

Roland Eggner

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.09 kB)
(No filename) (198.00 B)

by Chris Jones

On 05/18/2013 05:44 AM, Roland Eggner wrote:

> $ LC_ALL=C du --help | grep -E -e 'apparent|sparse|fragmentation'
> --apparent-size print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage; although
> the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be
> larger due to holes in ('sparse') files, internal
> fragmentation, indirect blocks, and the like
> -b, --bytes equivalent to '--apparent-size --block-size=1'

Thanks Roland. I figured it out in the end. Things were not as bad as
they first seemed.

Chris Jones

Founder and Lead Software Architect
Paradise Software