2004-03-31 16:01:38

by Roland Dreier

Subject: NFS ENOLCK problem with CONFIG_SECURITY=n

I'm having problems with lockf returning ENOLCK on an NFS directory.
I also see messages like

nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
lockd: cannot monitor 10.0.0.5
lockd: failed to monitor 10.0.0.5

The system is an IA64 system running Debian testing with kernel 2.6.4.
I found previous reports of a similar problem, but the solution was to
set CONFIG_SECURITY to n (or add CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES).
However, I already have CONFIG_SECURITY off:

$ zgrep CONFIG_SECURITY /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_SECURITY is not set

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Roland

2004-03-31 16:38:27

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: NFS ENOLCK problem with CONFIG_SECURITY=n

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 11:01, Roland Dreier wrote:
> I'm having problems with lockf returning ENOLCK on an NFS directory.
> I also see messages like
>
> nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
> lockd: cannot monitor 10.0.0.5
> lockd: failed to monitor 10.0.0.5
>
> The system is an IA64 system running Debian testing with kernel 2.6.4.
> I found previous reports of a similar problem, but the solution was to
> set CONFIG_SECURITY to n (or add CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES).
> However, I already have CONFIG_SECURITY off:
>
> $ zgrep CONFIG_SECURITY /proc/config.gz
> # CONFIG_SECURITY is not set
>
> Am I missing something?

Error 13 == EPERM means "permission denied". Check that you haven't
misconfigured your /etc/hosts.deny file to deny access to
portmap/rpc.statd from localhost/your client on your server/your server
on your client...

Cheers,
Trond

--
Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

2004-03-31 17:16:48

by Roland Dreier

Trond> Error 13 == EPERM means "permission denied". Check that you
Trond> haven't misconfigured your /etc/hosts.deny file to deny
Trond> access to portmap/rpc.statd from localhost/your client on
Trond> your server/your server on your client...

Even worse than that... Debian by default doesn't install its
"nfs-common" package, so I had no statd running. Duh.

Sorry for the noise,
Roland