2004-06-21 17:12:40

by areversat

Subject: Status of pci express in kernel

Hi,

I've read today that intel is going to launch it's first pci express
chipsets soon. So i was wondering if the support of this bus was already
a work in progress or if it wasn't yet started ?

Thanks

Antoine Reversat

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Ceci est une partie de message num?riquement sign?e.

2004-06-21 17:28:56

by Roland Dreier

Subject: Re: Status of pci express in kernel

areversat> Hi, I've read today that intel is going to launch it's
areversat> first pci express chipsets soon. So i was wondering if
areversat> the support of this bus was already a work in progress
areversat> or if it wasn't yet started ?

PCI Express is backwards compatible with standard PCI, so even fairly
old Linux kernels boot and work fine with PCI Express devices. 2.6
kernels also have support for accessing the new features of PCI
Express (ie extended PCI header fields).

- Roland

2004-06-22 00:04:51

by Greg KH

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 07:12:00PM +0200, areversat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read today that intel is going to launch it's first pci express
> chipsets soon. So i was wondering if the support of this bus was already
> a work in progress or if it wasn't yet started ?

It's already in the 2.6 kernel tree.

thanks,

greg k-h