2014-12-09 17:59:07

by Corey Minyard

Subject: [GIT PULL] ipmi driver updates

Hello Linus,

Please pull from:

git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus

For the following changes:
- Quite a few bug fixes
- A new driver for the powernv
- A new driver for the SMBus interface from the IPMI 2.0 specification

These have been in linux-next for a while.

Thanks,

-corey

IPMI Updates for 3.19

Corey Minyard (17):
ipmi: Ignore SSIF in the PNP handling
ipmi: Move the address source to string to ipmi-generic code
ipmi: clean up the device handling for the bmc device
ipmi: Remove useless sysfs_name parameters
ipmi: Fix a bug in hot add/remove
ipmi: Use the proper type for acpi_handle
ipmi: Initialize BMC device attributes
ipmi: Fix handling of BMC flags
ipmi: rename waiting_msgs to waiting_rcv_msgs
ipmi: Move message sending into its own function
ipmi: Make the message handler easier to use for SMI interfaces
ipmi: Remove the now unnecessary message queue
ipmi: Remove the now unused priority from SMI sender
ipmi: Add SMBus interface driver (SSIF)
ipmi: Periodically check to see if irqs and messages are set right
ipmi: Fix attention handling for system interfaces
ipmi: Check the BT interrupt enable periodically

Jeremy Kerr (2):
powerpc/powernv: Add OPAL IPMI interface
drivers/char/ipmi: Add powernv IPMI driver

[email protected] (1):
ipmi: Unregister previously registered driver in error case

diffstat

Documentation/IPMI.txt | 74 +-
arch/powerpc/include/asm/opal.h | 17 +
arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/opal-wrappers.S | 2 +
arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/opal.c | 14 +
drivers/char/ipmi/Kconfig | 14 +
drivers/char/ipmi/Makefile | 2 +
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_msghandler.c | 560 +++----
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_powernv.c | 310 ++++
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_intf.c | 497 ++++---
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_ssif.c | 1870
++++++++++++++++++++++++
include/linux/ipmi.h | 6 +-
include/linux/ipmi_smi.h | 10 +-

2014-12-10 10:53:13

by Michael Ellerman

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] ipmi driver updates

Hi Corey,

On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 11:59 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> Jeremy Kerr (2):
> powerpc/powernv: Add OPAL IPMI interface
> drivers/char/ipmi: Add powernv IPMI driver

I created a topic branch for that powerpc patch, but it looks like you didn't
merge it?

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/mpe/linux.git/log/?h=topic/opal-ipmi

The merge conflict between your tree and mine is not all that pretty, though
Linus should be able to work it out. I haven't sent my pull request yet though,
so he'll probably get it when he merges my tree.

The patch in your tree does look correct, so that's OK, but maybe next time we
can both merge the topic branch.

cheers

2014-12-10 14:21:26

by Corey Minyard

On 12/10/2014 04:53 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Hi Corey,
>
> On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 11:59 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
>> Jeremy Kerr (2):
>> powerpc/powernv: Add OPAL IPMI interface
>> drivers/char/ipmi: Add powernv IPMI driver
> I created a topic branch for that powerpc patch, but it looks like you didn't
> merge it?

No, I missed that. I've never had to do any serious merging with other
changes, so I've never had to do this before. I can fix it if Linus
wants to wait. Thanks for the heads up.

-corey

> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/mpe/linux.git/log/?h=topic/opal-ipmi
>
> The merge conflict between your tree and mine is not all that pretty, though
> Linus should be able to work it out. I haven't sent my pull request yet though,
> so he'll probably get it when he merges my tree.
>
> The patch in your tree does look correct, so that's OK, but maybe next time we
> can both merge the topic branch.
>
> cheers

2014-12-11 05:58:34

by Michael Ellerman

On Wed, 2014-12-10 at 08:21 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> On 12/10/2014 04:53 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > Hi Corey,
> >
> > On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 11:59 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> >> Jeremy Kerr (2):
> >> powerpc/powernv: Add OPAL IPMI interface
> >> drivers/char/ipmi: Add powernv IPMI driver
> > I created a topic branch for that powerpc patch, but it looks like you didn't
> > merge it?
>
> No, I missed that. I've never had to do any serious merging with other
> changes, so I've never had to do this before. I can fix it if Linus
> wants to wait. Thanks for the heads up.

OK, no stress.

I think I sent you instructions on how to do it, but feel free to ask if you're
not sure in future.

cheers

2014-12-11 20:20:04

by Linus Torvalds

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Corey Minyard <[email protected]> wrote:

> git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus

Can't do.

Not only is there no "for-linus" branch there, even if there was, I
wouldn't pull it. I really want signed tags when pulling from random
git repositories. So when pulling from places like guthub or
sourceforge, I want that signature to verify the identity of the tree,
when the site itself doesn't do it.

Please fix up..

Linus

2014-12-11 22:36:22

by Corey Minyard

On 12/11/2014 02:19 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Corey Minyard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus
> Can't do.
>
> Not only is there no "for-linus" branch there, even if there was, I
> wouldn't pull it. I really want signed tags when pulling from random
> git repositories. So when pulling from places like guthub or
> sourceforge, I want that signature to verify the identity of the tree,
> when the site itself doesn't do it.
>
> Please fix up..

Ok, should be fixed up. I have the opal changes in a topic merge, and
the tag is signed with [email protected], verified on another machine.
Please pull from:

git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus

Also, there was nothing in SubmittingPatches that I could find about
signing the tags for pull requests. I can try to write something to add
there, if you like. Though someone with more experience might be a
better candidate.

Thanks,

-corey

> Linus

2014-12-11 22:40:40

by Linus Torvalds

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Corey Minyard <[email protected]> wrote:

> git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus

So I see a "for-linus" tag now, but what's that "openipmi-linux-ipmi"
thing in there?

Also, just in general, please use the normal "git pull-request"
script, which should make these kinds of things clear and error out if
the tag isn't found (at least in current versions of git).

> Also, there was nothing in SubmittingPatches that I could find about
> signing the tags for pull requests. I can try to write something to add
> there, if you like. Though someone with more experience might be a
> better candidate.

Hmm. You might want to google around too, because this has come up
before, so there might be explanations lying around on the mailing
lists that just haven't been made into documentation.

Linus

2014-12-11 23:02:33

by Corey Minyard

On 12/11/2014 04:40 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Corey Minyard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus
> So I see a "for-linus" tag now, but what's that "openipmi-linux-ipmi"
> thing in there?

That's a cut and paste error. I cut from the wrong place, it appears.

> Also, just in general, please use the normal "git pull-request"
> script, which should make these kinds of things clear and error out if
> the tag isn't found (at least in current versions of git).
>
>> Also, there was nothing in SubmittingPatches that I could find about
>> signing the tags for pull requests. I can try to write something to add
>> there, if you like. Though someone with more experience might be a
>> better candidate.
> Hmm. You might want to google around too, because this has come up
> before, so there might be explanations lying around on the mailing
> lists that just haven't been made into documentation.

Ok, I'll try to poke around and see what I can find.

-corey

2014-12-11 23:34:03

by Michael Ellerman

On Thu, 2014-12-11 at 16:59 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
> On 12/11/2014 04:40 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Corey Minyard <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi openipmi-linux-ipmi for-linus
> > So I see a "for-linus" tag now, but what's that "openipmi-linux-ipmi"
> > thing in there?
>
> That's a cut and paste error. I cut from the wrong place, it appears.
>

> > Also, just in general, please use the normal "git pull-request"
> > script, which should make these kinds of things clear and error out if
> > the tag isn't found (at least in current versions of git).
> >
> >> Also, there was nothing in SubmittingPatches that I could find about
> >> signing the tags for pull requests. I can try to write something to add
> >> there, if you like. Though someone with more experience might be a
> >> better candidate.
> > Hmm. You might want to google around too, because this has come up
> > before, so there might be explanations lying around on the mailing
> > lists that just haven't been made into documentation.
>
> Ok, I'll try to poke around and see what I can find.

There's some here:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/using-signed-tag-in-pull-request.html

Though it's fairly generic, ie. it's not specifically about the kernel. It
should give you the gist though.

cheers

2014-12-12 13:51:44

by Jonathan Corbet

Subject: Re: Signed tag docs (was [GIT PULL] ipmi driver updates)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:36:17 -0600
Corey Minyard <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, there was nothing in SubmittingPatches that I could find about
> signing the tags for pull requests. I can try to write something to add
> there, if you like. Though someone with more experience might be a
> better candidate.

I could probably take a stab at this if nobody else is raring to do it.
I just went through the process of figuring it out myself - I think I
*almost* got it right this time around...:)

jon