2015-02-05 20:08:11

by Sander Eikelenboom

Subject: Re: [Bugfix 0/3] Xen IRQ related hotfixes for v3.19

Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 3:21:04 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
> This patch set includes three hotfixes related Xen IRQ for v3.19.
> Sorry for the long delay to get these two regressions fixed, it really
> cost me some time to read and understand Xen IRQ code.

> Patch 1 fixes the failure to register ACPI SCI interrupt on Xen
> domain0 by reworking acpi_gsi_to_irq(). I will backport it to v3.18
> too once it reaches the mainstream kernel.

> Patch 2 fixes the regression in Xen PCI device passthrough(pciback).
> It's a temporary solution, I will send the formal fix for v3.20 and
> it has passed tests too.

> Patch 3 fixes an issue found when reading code. There's no real bug
> reports related to this issue yet.

> Great thanks to Konrad and Sander for testing fixes for these regressions.

> Regards,
> Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Since these patches now are: tested, reviewed and have landed into mainline,
could you also provide the backports for 3.17 and 3.18 where required ?

The number of people running into these (subtle) issues with these stable
kernels seems to be steadily increasing.

--
Sander

> Jiang Liu (3):
> xen/pci: Kill function xen_setup_acpi_sci()
> xen/irq, ACPI: Fix regression in xen PCI passthrough caused by
> cffe0a2b5a34
> xen/irq: Override ACPI IRQ management callback __acpi_unregister_gsi

> arch/x86/include/asm/acpi.h | 1 +
> arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c | 26 +++++++++++------------
> arch/x86/pci/xen.c | 49 ++-----------------------------------------
> drivers/acpi/pci_irq.c | 1 -

by Stefan Bader

On 05.02.2015 21:07, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:

> Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 3:21:04 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>> This patch set includes three hotfixes related Xen IRQ for v3.19.
>> Sorry for the long delay to get these two regressions fixed, it really
>> cost me some time to read and understand Xen IRQ code.
>
>> Patch 1 fixes the failure to register ACPI SCI interrupt on Xen
>> domain0 by reworking acpi_gsi_to_irq(). I will backport it to v3.18
>> too once it reaches the mainstream kernel.
>
>> Patch 2 fixes the regression in Xen PCI device passthrough(pciback).
>> It's a temporary solution, I will send the formal fix for v3.20 and
>> it has passed tests too.
>
>> Patch 3 fixes an issue found when reading code. There's no real bug
>> reports related to this issue yet.
>
>> Great thanks to Konrad and Sander for testing fixes for these regressions.
>
>> Regards,
>> Gerry
>
> Hi Gerry,
>
> Since these patches now are: tested, reviewed and have landed into mainline,
> could you also provide the backports for 3.17 and 3.18 where required ?

This would be my attempt of backporting those to 3.18 (I have not tried whether
they would apply to 3.17 as well). Those seem to work when test-booting and
Sander said he will give them a try as well. But better check yourself I did not
mess anything up while backporting. One of the three patches seemed not to be
required at all.

-Stefan

> The number of people running into these (subtle) issues with these stable
> kernels seems to be steadily increasing.
>
> --
> Sander
>
>> Jiang Liu (3):
>> xen/pci: Kill function xen_setup_acpi_sci()
>> xen/irq, ACPI: Fix regression in xen PCI passthrough caused by
>> cffe0a2b5a34
>> xen/irq: Override ACPI IRQ management callback __acpi_unregister_gsi
>
>> arch/x86/include/asm/acpi.h | 1 +
>> arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c | 26 +++++++++++------------
>> arch/x86/pci/xen.c | 49 ++-----------------------------------------
>> drivers/acpi/pci_irq.c | 1 -
>> 4 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 61 deletions(-)

Attachments:
0001-x86-xen-Treat-SCI-interrupt-as-normal-GSI-interrupt.patch (5.08 kB)
0002-x86-xen-Override-ACPI-IRQ-management-callback-__acpi.patch (2.28 kB)
signature.asc (819.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Jiang Liu

On 2015/2/9 17:47, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 05.02.2015 21:07, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>
>> Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 3:21:04 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>> This patch set includes three hotfixes related Xen IRQ for v3.19.
>>> Sorry for the long delay to get these two regressions fixed, it really
>>> cost me some time to read and understand Xen IRQ code.
>>
>>> Patch 1 fixes the failure to register ACPI SCI interrupt on Xen
>>> domain0 by reworking acpi_gsi_to_irq(). I will backport it to v3.18
>>> too once it reaches the mainstream kernel.
>>
>>> Patch 2 fixes the regression in Xen PCI device passthrough(pciback).
>>> It's a temporary solution, I will send the formal fix for v3.20 and
>>> it has passed tests too.
>>
>>> Patch 3 fixes an issue found when reading code. There's no real bug
>>> reports related to this issue yet.
>>
>>> Great thanks to Konrad and Sander for testing fixes for these regressions.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Gerry
>>
>> Hi Gerry,
>>
>> Since these patches now are: tested, reviewed and have landed into mainline,
>> could you also provide the backports for 3.17 and 3.18 where required ?
>
> This would be my attempt of backporting those to 3.18 (I have not tried whether
> they would apply to 3.17 as well). Those seem to work when test-booting and
> Sander said he will give them a try as well. But better check yourself I did not
> mess anything up while backporting. One of the three patches seemed not to be
> required at all.
I'm backporting them too, but now I will give up my patches:)

The first one is a must, which should be applied to 3.17 and 3.18.
The second one doesn't apply to 3.17 or 3.18.
The third may be applied to v3.17 and v3.18, but it shouldn't be applied
according to the stable-kernel doc because no user reports such a bug yet.
Regards
Gerry

> -Stefan
>

>> The number of people running into these (subtle) issues with these stable
>> kernels seems to be steadily increasing.
>>
>> --
>> Sander
>>
>>> Jiang Liu (3):
>>> xen/pci: Kill function xen_setup_acpi_sci()
>>> xen/irq, ACPI: Fix regression in xen PCI passthrough caused by
>>> cffe0a2b5a34
>>> xen/irq: Override ACPI IRQ management callback __acpi_unregister_gsi
>>
>>> arch/x86/include/asm/acpi.h | 1 +
>>> arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c | 26 +++++++++++------------
>>> arch/x86/pci/xen.c | 49 ++-----------------------------------------
>>> drivers/acpi/pci_irq.c | 1 -
>>> 4 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 61 deletions(-)

2015-02-09 12:17:43

by Sander Eikelenboom

Monday, February 9, 2015, 10:47:43 AM, you wrote:

> On 05.02.2015 21:07, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>
>> Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 3:21:04 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>> This patch set includes three hotfixes related Xen IRQ for v3.19.
>>> Sorry for the long delay to get these two regressions fixed, it really
>>> cost me some time to read and understand Xen IRQ code.
>>
>>> Patch 1 fixes the failure to register ACPI SCI interrupt on Xen
>>> domain0 by reworking acpi_gsi_to_irq(). I will backport it to v3.18
>>> too once it reaches the mainstream kernel.
>>
>>> Patch 2 fixes the regression in Xen PCI device passthrough(pciback).
>>> It's a temporary solution, I will send the formal fix for v3.20 and
>>> it has passed tests too.
>>
>>> Patch 3 fixes an issue found when reading code. There's no real bug
>>> reports related to this issue yet.
>>
>>> Great thanks to Konrad and Sander for testing fixes for these regressions.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Gerry
>>
>> Hi Gerry,
>>
>> Since these patches now are: tested, reviewed and have landed into mainline,
>> could you also provide the backports for 3.17 and 3.18 where required ?

> This would be my attempt of backporting those to 3.18 (I have not tried whether
> they would apply to 3.17 as well). Those seem to work when test-booting and
> Sander said he will give them a try as well. But better check yourself I did not
> mess anything up while backporting. One of the three patches seemed not to be
> required at all.

> -Stefan

Hi Stefan / Gerry,

Happy to inform you i have tested stefan's backport-patches on Intel and AMD:

- Patches apply cleanly to kernel's 3.18.6 and 3.17.8 and compile.
(hmm, 3.17 seems to be already EOL according to http://www.kernel.org ?)
- Fixes the subtle issues i had.

So .. Tested-by: Sander Eikelenboom <[email protected]>

Thanks !

--
Sander

>> The number of people running into these (subtle) issues with these stable
>> kernels seems to be steadily increasing.
>>
>> --
>> Sander
>>
>>> Jiang Liu (3):
>>> xen/pci: Kill function xen_setup_acpi_sci()
>>> xen/irq, ACPI: Fix regression in xen PCI passthrough caused by
>>> cffe0a2b5a34
>>> xen/irq: Override ACPI IRQ management callback __acpi_unregister_gsi
>>
>>> arch/x86/include/asm/acpi.h | 1 +
>>> arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c | 26 +++++++++++------------
>>> arch/x86/pci/xen.c | 49 ++-----------------------------------------
>>> drivers/acpi/pci_irq.c | 1 -
>>> 4 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 61 deletions(-)

2015-02-09 12:30:04

by Stefan Bader

On 09.02.2015 13:12, Jiang Liu wrote:
> On 2015/2/9 17:47, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> Hi Gerry,
>>>
>>> Since these patches now are: tested, reviewed and have landed into mainline,
>>> could you also provide the backports for 3.17 and 3.18 where required ?
>>
>> This would be my attempt of backporting those to 3.18 (I have not tried whether
>> they would apply to 3.17 as well). Those seem to work when test-booting and
>> Sander said he will give them a try as well. But better check yourself I did not
>> mess anything up while backporting. One of the three patches seemed not to be
>> required at all.
> I'm backporting them too, but now I will give up my patches:)
>
> The first one is a must, which should be applied to 3.17 and 3.18.
> The second one doesn't apply to 3.17 or 3.18.
> The third may be applied to v3.17 and v3.18, but it shouldn't be applied
> according to the stable-kernel doc because no user reports such a bug yet.

Hm, ok. So maybe I should retry with only patch#1 and verify that alone gets
around the acpi irq and the usb problems, too. Though interestingly from the
history, the acpi irq I saw in 3.17 while the usb devices started to fail with
3.18. I will let you know in a bit. Just want to finish another bisect first.

-Stefan

> Regards
> Gerry
>>
>> -Stefan
>>

>>> The number of people running into these (subtle) issues with these stable
>>> kernels seems to be steadily increasing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sander

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2015-02-09 16:09:58

by Stefan Bader

On 09.02.2015 13:29, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 09.02.2015 13:12, Jiang Liu wrote:

>>> This would be my attempt of backporting those to 3.18 (I have not tried whether
>>> they would apply to 3.17 as well). Those seem to work when test-booting and
>>> Sander said he will give them a try as well. But better check yourself I did not
>>> mess anything up while backporting. One of the three patches seemed not to be
>>> required at all.
>> I'm backporting them too, but now I will give up my patches:)
>>
>> The first one is a must, which should be applied to 3.17 and 3.18.
>> The second one doesn't apply to 3.17 or 3.18.
>> The third may be applied to v3.17 and v3.18, but it shouldn't be applied
>> according to the stable-kernel doc because no user reports such a bug yet.
>
> Hm, ok. So maybe I should retry with only patch#1 and verify that alone gets
> around the acpi irq and the usb problems, too. Though interestingly from the
> history, the acpi irq I saw in 3.17 while the usb devices started to fail with
> 3.18. I will let you know in a bit. Just want to finish another bisect first.

So it looks like patch #1 indeed does fix both the acpi irq and my usb devices.
Sander, do you want to verify that variant, too?

The only odd thing left in a 3.18 with the fix (regardless of using patch #1
only or patches #1 and #3) is that the ahci driver shows up with its pci bus
number in /proc/interrupts. But that does not seem to have any relevant downside
(cannot try 3.19 on that box right now for other reasons).

-Stefan

# 57: 12441 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi 0000:00:1f.2
# (used to be ahci)

> -Stefan
>
>> Regards
>> Gerry
>>>
>>> -Stefan

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2015-02-09 16:55:59

by Sander Eikelenboom

> On 09.02.2015 13:29, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> I'm backporting them too, but now I will give up my patches:)
>>>
>>> The first one is a must, which should be applied to 3.17 and 3.18.
>>> The second one doesn't apply to 3.17 or 3.18.
>>> The third may be applied to v3.17 and v3.18, but it shouldn't be applied
>>> according to the stable-kernel doc because no user reports such a bug yet.
>>
>> Hm, ok. So maybe I should retry with only patch#1 and verify that alone gets
>> around the acpi irq and the usb problems, too. Though interestingly from the
>> history, the acpi irq I saw in 3.17 while the usb devices started to fail with
>> 3.18. I will let you know in a bit. Just want to finish another bisect first.

> So it looks like patch #1 indeed does fix both the acpi irq and my usb devices.
> Sander, do you want to verify that variant, too?

Will test 3.18 with only patch 1 after dinner.

> The only odd thing left in a 3.18 with the fix (regardless of using patch #1
> only or patches #1 and #3) is that the ahci driver shows up with its pci bus
> number in /proc/interrupts. But that does not seem to have any relevant downside
> (cannot try 3.19 on that box right now for other reasons).

> -Stefan

> # 57: 12441 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi 0000:00:1f.2
> # (used to be ahci)

Hmm funky .. now that you mention it .. i'm seeing that as well but only on an
intel machine.

intel .. on 3.19:
52: 13529 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi 0000:00:1f.2

on my amd machine on 3.19 it seems ok though:

114: 412535 0 0 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi ahci0
115: 0 0 0 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi ahci1
116: 16717 0 0 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi ahci2
117: 0 0 0 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi ahci3
118: 0 0 0 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi ahci4
119: 0 0 0 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi ahci5

--
Sander

>> -Stefan
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Gerry

2015-02-09 19:15:35

by Sander Eikelenboom

> On 09.02.2015 13:29, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> I'm backporting them too, but now I will give up my patches:)
>>>
>>> The first one is a must, which should be applied to 3.17 and 3.18.
>>> The second one doesn't apply to 3.17 or 3.18.
>>> The third may be applied to v3.17 and v3.18, but it shouldn't be applied
>>> according to the stable-kernel doc because no user reports such a bug yet.
>>
>> Hm, ok. So maybe I should retry with only patch#1 and verify that alone gets
>> around the acpi irq and the usb problems, too. Though interestingly from the
>> history, the acpi irq I saw in 3.17 while the usb devices started to fail with
>> 3.18. I will let you know in a bit. Just want to finish another bisect first.

> So it looks like patch #1 indeed does fix both the acpi irq and my usb devices.
> Sander, do you want to verify that variant, too?

Hi Stefan / Gerry,

Just tested with only patch 1, ended up the same .. the reported issues seem
gone.

> The only odd thing left in a 3.18 with the fix (regardless of using patch #1
> only or patches #1 and #3) is that the ahci driver shows up with its pci bus
> number in /proc/interrupts. But that does not seem to have any relevant downside
> (cannot try 3.19 on that box right now for other reasons).

> -Stefan

> # 57: 12441 0 0 0 xen-pirq-msi 0000:00:1f.2
> # (used to be ahci)

This is also there on baremetal with 3.19 on intel, so not xen related:
27: 1868 582 1282 555 IR-PCI-MSI-edge 0000:00:1f.2

--
Sander

>> -Stefan
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Gerry

2015-02-10 13:31:32

by Stefan Bader

On 09.02.2015 20:15, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:

> Monday, February 9, 2015, 5:09:44 PM, you wrote:

>>> Hm, ok. So maybe I should retry with only patch#1 and verify that alone gets
>>> around the acpi irq and the usb problems, too. Though interestingly from the
>>> history, the acpi irq I saw in 3.17 while the usb devices started to fail with
>>> 3.18. I will let you know in a bit. Just want to finish another bisect first.
>
>> So it looks like patch #1 indeed does fix both the acpi irq and my usb devices.
>> Sander, do you want to verify that variant, too?
>
> Hi Stefan / Gerry,
>
> Just tested with only patch 1, ended up the same .. the reported issues seem
> gone.

Sounds good. :) Gerry, do you want me to fwd the backport to Greg for 3.18 or do
you do that? As far as I know 3.17 has nobody caring about it.

-Stefan