2024-01-18 01:06:08

by Werner Sembach

Subject: Re: Userspace API for per key backlight for non HID (no hidraw) keyboards

Hi Hans and Armin,

Am 17.01.24 um 20:03 schrieb Armin Wolf:
> [...]
>> so this way we can use the momentum / code of these existing
>> projects, at least for existing hidraw keyboards and adding
>> support for:
>>
>> /sys/bus/hid/devices/0003:xxxx:xxxx.xxxx/disable_kbd_backlight_support
>>
>> to these existing projects should be simple.
>>
>> Yet this will not work for your mentioned "control completely
>> via a wmi/acpi interface". Still I think we should go the same
>> route for those adding a misc-char device or something like
>> that to allow making WMI calls from userspace (like Windows
>> can do). Maybe with an allow list per GUID to only allow
>> specific calls, so that we can avoid possible dangerous calls.
>>
>> Armin Wolf recently became the WMI bus maintainer.
>>
>> Armin, we are discussing how to deal with (laptop) keyboards
>> which have a separate RGB LED per key and how to control
>> those LEDs.
>>
>> So far per key addressable keyboard backlighting has always
>> been HID based, so any existing support is just userspace
>> based using /dev/hidraw. In my experience the problem with
>> supporting gaming peripherals is that there is interest in it,
>> but not really enough interest to keep a sustained momentum
>> behind projects, especially not when it comes to taking code
>> from a fun weekend hack to upstreaming them into bigger
>> projects like the kernel.
>>
>> So I would like to offer some sort of easy accessible
>> API to userspace for accessing this, basically allowing
>> userspace drivers for the LED part of the keyboard which
>> in some cases will involve making WMI calls from userspace.
>>
>> So, Armin, what do you think about a way of allowing
>> (filtered) WMI calls from userspace through say
>> a misc-char device + ioctls or something like that?
>>
>> Werner atm I personally do think that option 4. from
>> your list is the way to go. Mainly because designing
>> a generic kernel API for all bells and whistles of gaming
>> hw is very tricky and would require a large ongoing
>> effort which I just don't see happening (based on
>> past experience).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hans
>>
> Hi,
>
> i can understand your concerns, but i strongly advise against a generic WMI
> userspace API.
> The reasons for this are:
>
> 1. We are still unable to parse (and use) the binary MOF buffers describing
> the WMI devices,
> so all of that would require the driver parsing a raw byte buffer. In this
> case a separate
> misc device managed by the driver would basically do the same.
>
> 2. Many WMI implementations are like RWEverything implemented inside the ACPI
> firmware, so
> most devices will require the driver to do excessive filtering. Many
> implementations also do
> no proper input validation either so the driver has to know all possible use
> cases since he
> has to protect the buggy ACPI firmware from userspace attacks.

Or the WMI has a straight forward arbitrary read/write function into EC ram
(e.g. all Uniwill/TongFang devices).

The filtering would need to be explicit whitelisting of wmi-calls+arguments.
Don't know if this would reduce complexity for the kernel.

> Regarding point number 2, i just had to contact Asus so that they remove a
> broken WMI interface
> from my motherboard or else a simple application could crash the Windows
> kernel. This firmware
> is (sadly) being designed as an internal API and thus unstable beyond all
> imagination.
>
> For HID devices, a userspace driver might be OK since they are somewhat
> isolated from the remaining
> hardware, but WMI is basically a kernel bypass for ACPI firmware calls, so
> userspace could easily
> attack the kernel is way.
>
> Personally, i would prefer extending the LED subsystem to support zone-like
> devices with many LEDs,
> as this would prevent userspace from having to tinker with the hardware behind
> the kernels back.
> Other highly device-specific features could be implemented with a
> driver-specific misc device.

Something like my earlier suggestion "[...] adds a new entry zones_count.
multi_intensity has now colors count * zones_count entries. aka a RGB keyboard
with 126 leds would take 378 values for multi_intensity [...]"?

Setting all with one file access to multi_intensity could make it somewhat
performant as Hans already mentioned, but also would violate the one file one
led paradigm.

Or formulated differently: How should the sysfs folder look:

leds/
    rgb:kbd_backlight_a/
        brightness
        multi_intensity
    rgb:kbd_backlight_b/
        brightness
        multi_intensity

or

leds/
    rgb:kbd_backlight/
        brightness
        multi_intensity_a
        multi_intensity_b

or

leds/
    rgb:kbd_backlight/
        brightness
        zones_count
        multi_intensity

Personally I don't really like the idea of having the color set in
/sys/class/leds/*:rgb:kbd_backlight/multi_intensity and e.g. the breathing mode
in /sys/class/misc/<some_random_name>/<some_random_attribute>. Or at least there
should be a hint in /sys/class/leds/*:rgb:kbd_backlight/ for the userspace to
know where to look for associated additional attributes.

> Regarding the speed, it depends on the underlying WMI interface design if
> smooth animations are
> even possible, since many WMI interfaces are quite slow. Can you share the
> Binary MOF buffers
> describing the WMI interfaces in question?
Taking a colleague in the loop who currently has the device at hand.
@Christoffer can you extract it? Is it one wmi call per key or is there a "set
all" wmi call (because performance)?

> Thanks,
> Armin Wolf