2002-10-29 09:25:00

by DevilKin

Subject: [2.5.44] Poweroff after warm reboot

Hello,

If I reboot my laptop with kernel 2.5.44 (warm reboot), the machine reboots,
loads the kernel, and then in the middle of the booting process powers off.

Doing an actual shutdown (poweroff) results in a clean boot next time.

This behaviour is not present with kernel 2.5.40.

The last message I'm able to see before the screen goes blank is something
about serial io being detected/loaded.

Is this a known bug?

PC is a Dell Latitude CPI A XT 366. More info available if needed.

DK
--
It is the business of little minds to shrink.
-- Carl Sandburg

2002-10-29 10:03:19

by Jos Hulzink

Subject: Re: [2.5.44] Poweroff after warm reboot

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:31, DevilKin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I reboot my laptop with kernel 2.5.44 (warm reboot), the machine
> reboots, loads the kernel, and then in the middle of the booting process
> powers off.

Hmm... maybe it has something to do with ACPI ? Could you try booting the
kernel after a warm reboot with ACPI disabled ?

An other thing I can think about is that a driver does odd things due to the
fact that the hardware isn't reinitialized completely. See dmesg what driver
comes after that serial driver and disable the serial driver and / or the
other driver. See if this helps.

Jos

2002-10-29 11:15:38

by DevilKin

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:09, Jos Hulzink wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:31, DevilKin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I reboot my laptop with kernel 2.5.44 (warm reboot), the machine
> > reboots, loads the kernel, and then in the middle of the booting process
> > powers off.
>
> Hmm... maybe it has something to do with ACPI ? Could you try booting the
> kernel after a warm reboot with ACPI disabled ?

It's APM, not ACPI (luckely :oP)

> An other thing I can think about is that a driver does odd things due to
> the fact that the hardware isn't reinitialized completely. See dmesg what
> driver comes after that serial driver and disable the serial driver and /
> or the other driver. See if this helps.

Well, I'd first have to figure out what driver it is, since my screen goes
entirely blank...

DK
--
Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.

2002-10-29 15:36:47

by Disconnect

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 04:31, DevilKin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I reboot my laptop with kernel 2.5.44 (warm reboot), the machine reboots,
> loads the kernel, and then in the middle of the booting process powers off.
>
> Doing an actual shutdown (poweroff) results in a clean boot next time.
>
> Is this a known bug?
>
> PC is a Dell Latitude CPI A XT 366. More info available if needed.

FWIW I have a very similar machine (its not in front of me
unfortunately) that used to exhibit the same behavior under Win2k. I
haven't been using it since I got into a position to put it back under
Linux (the battery is shot - I was just using it to run software
required by my old ISP) but I can give it a try if needed.

It was exactly as described, only under windows - the machine would
reboot, bios go past, the initial boot menu would go, then partway
though the color-bar boot screen it would just turn off.

2002-11-05 17:39:34

by DevilKin

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 12:21, DevilKin wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:09, Jos Hulzink wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:31, DevilKin wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > If I reboot my laptop with kernel 2.5.44 (warm reboot), the machine
> > > reboots, loads the kernel, and then in the middle of the booting
> > > process powers off.
> >
> > Hmm... maybe it has something to do with ACPI ? Could you try booting the
> > kernel after a warm reboot with ACPI disabled ?
>
> It's APM, not ACPI (luckely :oP)

This problem is still present with 2.5.45 and 2.5.46.

DK
--
"Kirk to Enterprise -- beam down yeoman Rand and a six-pack."

2002-11-07 16:48:42

by Alessandro Suardi

> On Tuesday 29 October 2002 12:21, DevilKin wrote:

> > > Hmm... maybe it has something to do with ACPI ? Could you try booting the
> > > kernel after a warm reboot with ACPI disabled ?
> >
> > It's APM, not ACPI (luckely :oP)
> This problem is still present with 2.5.45 and 2.5.46.

<AOL>same here</AOL>

Actually I haven't tested further kernels than 2.5.45 as I just spent the night moving
files from the laptop that suffered, alas, uncorrectable drive errors. Luckily the only
file lost was linux-2.5.45.tar :) I only hope that the poweroffs didn't help the drive
to die earlier than it should have :/

--alessandro