2009-06-15 04:15:26

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Subject: Xen vs. KVM

Personally, they are nothing but piracy tools used to hijack and run
multiple hijacked copies of windows -- even in reputable systems houses.

I was working on VM/ESA and mainframe operating systems before linux even
existed and am familar with the issues.

I have worked with both KVM and XEN and to be honest, XEN is infested with
bugs -- mostly of the paging type -- and you need an logic analyzer of an
ICE to debug some of it. I have nothing but trouble with it. KVM is more
stable but also sucks on performance, but I occasionally see the same
issues.

I have worked with several local clients wanting to use both, and they are
idiots as near as I can tell. What fucking moron would want to cram 12 OS
images on a system at once so they can run PHP and nysql apps between
windows and Linux? This is what these stupid goofs are doing.

Folks are better off with VMWare (which is a lot slower) and more stable
than either of them. KVM is cleaner but is still not stable with all
apps.

Jeff

2009-06-18 00:08:19

by Morten P.D. Stevens

Subject: RE: Xen vs. KVM

2009/6/15 <[email protected]>

> I have worked with both KVM and XEN and to be honest, XEN is infested with
> bugs -- mostly of the paging type -- and you need an logic analyzer of an
> ICE to debug some of it. I have nothing but trouble with it. KVM is more
> stable but also sucks on performance, but I occasionally see the same
> issues.

This is bullshit.

KVM is buggy und very unstable. It?s NOT RECOMMENDED for production usage.

Xen is fully developed, fast and more reliable than KVM.
Thousands of companies are using Xen or Citrix XenServer and its super fast, easy to use and 100% rockstable!
The XEN PV Guest drivers are excellent in comparison with the KVM windows guest drivers. (after installing the 64 bit networking drivers with Server 2008 x64 > blue screen...).. I hate kvm.

@ Linus : Please merge xen as hypervisor into linux, right now !

-

Morten

2009-06-18 03:07:05

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

> 2009/6/15 <[email protected]>
>
>> I have worked with both KVM and XEN and to be honest, XEN is infested
>> with
>> bugs -- mostly of the paging type -- and you need an logic analyzer of
>> an
>> ICE to debug some of it. I have nothing but trouble with it. KVM is
>> more
>> stable but also sucks on performance, but I occasionally see the same
>> issues.
>
> This is bullshit.
>
> KVM is buggy und very unstable. It?s NOT RECOMMENDED for production usage.
>
> Xen is fully developed, fast and more reliable than KVM.
> Thousands of companies are using Xen or Citrix XenServer and its super
> fast, easy to use and 100% rockstable!
> The XEN PV Guest drivers are excellent in comparison with the KVM windows
> guest drivers. (after installing the 64 bit networking drivers with Server
> 2008 x64 > blue screen...).. I hate kvm.
>
> @ Linus : Please merge xen as hypervisor into linux, right now !
>
> -
>
> Morten

They are both buggy. but Xen is BUGGIER.

Before you call bullshit try eating your own dogfood. I threw both of
these pieces of shit away in the trash and went back to VMWare, which is
slower than crap, but it least it fucking works.

Jeff

2009-06-19 11:52:48

by Morten P.D. Stevens

2009/6/18 <[email protected]>:

> They are both buggy. but Xen is BUGGIER.
>
> Before you call bullshit try eating your own dogfood. I threw both of
> these pieces of shit away in the trash and went back to VMWare, which is
> slower than crap, but it least it fucking works.

No, just try a commercial solution like Sun xVM, Oracle VM or Citrix XenServer. All of these products are ready for commercial usage and 100% rockstable like vmware.

All unstable/experimental code will be merged into linux, but a super amazing virtualization platform like xen won?t be merged? this is absurd!

Many companies are behind xen for example: Sun, Intel, AMD, IBM, HP, Red Hat, Novell/SuSE, Citrix even Microsoft!

Who supports kvm? Nobody, beside of some kernel developers.

-

Morten