2009-04-09 14:33:14

by Alessandro Suardi

Subject: No sound with 2.6.29-git5 vanilla through 2.6.30-rc1-git1 on hda-intel (F10 kernel has sound)

My cursed Dell E6400 is turning up more issues I recall ever seeing
in my 13.5 years of Linuxing -- wireless is unsupported in vanilla,
X/VT switching moans, MTRR still complains, microcode WARNs on
boot - and the joys of 64-bit Firefox with gnash and IcedTea...

And now, sound only works in Fedora 10 with the F10 kernel, that is:

2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64

but not with any vanilla kernel I built. So it might be me, of course; but
the ALSA modules seem the same in the two kernels - where applicable
(recent kernels have a hda-intel-codec module that doesn't seem to be
loaded in the F10 kernel).

The GNOME volume control applet shows up many knobs in F10, only
two in my kernel (Master and PCM). No sound at all in any configuration,
be it Pulseaudio, ALSA or OSS.

Attaching lsmod and alsa-info.sh from both kernels, any help would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--alessandro

"Sun keeps rising in the west / I keep on waking fully confused"

(The Replacements, "Within Your Reach")

Attachments:
alsa-info-2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.txt (19.92 kB)
alsa-info-2.6.30-rc1-git1.vanilla.txt (14.19 kB)
lsmod-2627.21.170.f10 (2.19 kB)
lsmod-2630-rc1-git1 (2.10 kB)

by Takashi Iwai

At Thu, 9 Apr 2009 16:32:48 +0200,
Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> My cursed Dell E6400 is turning up more issues I recall ever seeing
> in my 13.5 years of Linuxing -- wireless is unsupported in vanilla,
> X/VT switching moans, MTRR still complains, microcode WARNs on
> boot - and the joys of 64-bit Firefox with gnash and IcedTea...
>
> And now, sound only works in Fedora 10 with the F10 kernel, that is:
>
> 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64
>
> but not with any vanilla kernel I built. So it might be me, of course; but
> the ALSA modules seem the same in the two kernels - where applicable
> (recent kernels have a hda-intel-codec module that doesn't seem to be
> loaded in the F10 kernel).

snd-hda-codec-* modules are loaded automatically from snd-hda-intel.
Do you have snd-hda-codec-idt module?
It's enabled via CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y.

Takashi

2009-04-15 13:35:14

by Alessandro Suardi

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
> At Thu, 9 Apr 2009 16:32:48 +0200,
> Alessandro Suardi wrote:
>>
>> My cursed Dell E6400 is turning up more issues I recall ever seeing
>> ?in my 13.5 years of Linuxing -- wireless is unsupported in vanilla,
>> ?X/VT switching moans, MTRR still complains, microcode WARNs on
>> ?boot - and the joys of 64-bit Firefox with gnash and IcedTea...
>>
>> And now, sound only works in Fedora 10 with the F10 kernel, that is:
>>
>> 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64
>>
>> ?but not with any vanilla kernel I built. So it might be me, of course; but
>> ?the ALSA modules seem the same in the two kernels - where applicable
>> ?(recent kernels have a hda-intel-codec module that doesn't seem to be
>> ?loaded in the F10 kernel).
>
> snd-hda-codec-* modules are loaded automatically from snd-hda-intel.
> Do you have snd-hda-codec-idt module?
> It's enabled via CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y.
>

> Takashi

Thanks Takashi -

no, I haven't that one; am I supposed to set to Y all codecs under the
SND_HDA_INTEL tab ? And if not, how do I guess which one[s] ?

I wouldn't have known about SIGMATEL rather than, say, CONEXANT
(which I didn't enable) or INTELHDMI (which I did)...

--alessandro

"Sun keeps rising in the west / I keep on waking fully confused"

(The Replacements, "Within Your Reach")

2009-04-15 14:09:10

by Takashi Iwai

At Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:34:56 +0200,
Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
> > At Thu, 9 Apr 2009 16:32:48 +0200,
> > Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> >>
> >> My cursed Dell E6400 is turning up more issues I recall ever seeing
> >> ?in my 13.5 years of Linuxing -- wireless is unsupported in vanilla,
> >> ?X/VT switching moans, MTRR still complains, microcode WARNs on
> >> ?boot - and the joys of 64-bit Firefox with gnash and IcedTea...
> >>
> >> And now, sound only works in Fedora 10 with the F10 kernel, that is:
> >>
> >> 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64
> >>
> >> ?but not with any vanilla kernel I built. So it might be me, of course; but
> >> ?the ALSA modules seem the same in the two kernels - where applicable
> >> ?(recent kernels have a hda-intel-codec module that doesn't seem to be
> >> ?loaded in the F10 kernel).
> >
> > snd-hda-codec-* modules are loaded automatically from snd-hda-intel.
> > Do you have snd-hda-codec-idt module?
> > It's enabled via CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y.
> >

> > Takashi
>
> Thanks Takashi -
>
> no, I haven't that one; am I supposed to set to Y all codecs under the
> SND_HDA_INTEL tab ? And if not, how do I guess which one[s] ?

Unless you are sure that you have no matching codecs, it's better to
say all Y, especially if you are using modules.

Takashi

2009-04-15 18:06:57

by Alessandro Suardi

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
> At Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:34:56 +0200,
> Alessandro Suardi wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > snd-hda-codec-* modules are loaded automatically from snd-hda-intel.
>> > Do you have snd-hda-codec-idt module?
>> > It's enabled via CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y.
>> >

>> > Takashi
>>
>> Thanks Takashi -
>>
>> ? no, I haven't that one; am I supposed to set to Y all codecs under the
>> ? SND_HDA_INTEL tab ? And if not, how do I guess which one[s] ?
>
> Unless you are sure that you have no matching codecs, it's better to
> say all Y, especially if you are using modules.

That's what I did, and *poof* my audio is back on 2.6.30-rc2 !

Thanks a lot,