2005-10-24 21:01:17

by Claire McLister

Subject: Map of Linux Kernel Users (OT)

Hi,

We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
API.

To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
2 through October 10th.

The result of this map is at:
http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=478

Would like to hear what you think of it.

Best wishes

Claire

--
Claire McLister ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? [email protected]
1684 Nightingale Avenue ? ??Suite 201

http://www.zeesource.net

2005-10-25 00:30:50

by Fawad Lateef

Subject: Re: Map of Linux Kernel Users (OT)

On 10/25/05, Claire McLister <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
> API.
>
> To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
> 2 through October 10th.
>
> The result of this map is at:
> http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=478
>
> Would like to hear what you think of it.

Interesting, Its looking useful to get to know what are the origins of
emails coming to linux-kernel !

--
Fawad Lateef

2005-10-25 01:47:48

by Mark Knecht

On 10/24/05, Fawad Lateef <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 10/25/05, Claire McLister <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
> > API.
> >
> > To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
> > 2 through October 10th.
> >
> > The result of this map is at:
> > http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=478
> >
> > Would like to hear what you think of it.
> >

> Interesting, Its looking useful to get to know what are the origins of
> emails coming to linux-kernel !

(Is this thread OK here or should this go off line? I'm fine either way.)

I also found it interesting. It correctly recognized that I'm in the
Bay Area in California, but it placed me in a group in Palo Alto,
which is not where I really am, and it placed the Palo Alto group
below San Jose which isn't where Palo Alto really is.

None the less, quite interesting.

- Mark

2005-10-25 16:56:23

by Claire McLister

Thanks. Yes, let's move this offline. I have created a group on Google
groups, [email protected].

I found you in Mountain View group, although it still did show
Mountain View to the south of San Jose, which is clearly wrong. We will
be fixing this problem soon.

Claire

On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:47 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> (Is this thread OK here or should this go off line? I'm fine either
> way.)
>
> I also found it interesting. It correctly recognized that I'm in the
> Bay Area in California, but it placed me in a group in Palo Alto,
> which is not where I really am, and it placed the Palo Alto group
> below San Jose which isn't where Palo Alto really is.
>
> None the less, quite interesting.
>
> - Mark

2005-10-27 21:15:25

by Rob Landley

On Monday 24 October 2005 16:01, Claire McLister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
> API.
>
> To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
> 2 through October 10th.
>
> The result of this map is at:
> http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=478
>
> Would like to hear what you think of it.

Ok, I know it's silly, but I want that on http://www.kernel.org somewhere anyway.
(Probably filtered by "last 12 months" and "people who posted 10 or more
times...)

Rob

2005-10-28 12:02:46

by Claire McLister

Could be fun to watch as it developed over time -- I'm cc'ing this
message to the 'webmaster' at kernel.org to see if this is feasible.

On Oct 27, 2005, at 2:15 PM, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Monday 24 October 2005 16:01, Claire McLister wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google
>> Maps
>> API.
>>
>> To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from
>> October
>> 2 through October 10th.
>>
>> The result of this map is at:
>> http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=478
>>
>> Would like to hear what you think of it.
>
> Ok, I know it's silly, but I want that on http://www.kernel.org somewhere
> anyway.
> (Probably filtered by "last 12 months" and "people who posted 10 or
> more
> times...)
>
> Rob

2005-10-28 12:19:53

by Steven Rostedt

Subject: [KORG] (was: Re: Map of Linux Kernel Users (OT))

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 05:02 -0700, Claire McLister wrote:
> Could be fun to watch as it developed over time -- I'm cc'ing this
> message to the 'webmaster' at kernel.org to see if this is feasible.

The webmaster will never get it without the [KORG] in the subject.

-- Steve