2009-09-07 11:29:55

by Trilok Soni

Subject: Re: haptics devices linux driver support

Hi Kyungmin,

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Trilok Soni<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Kyungmin,
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Kyungmin Park<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's three types as I know,
>>
>> 1) just GPIO enable motor
>> 2) GPIO & PWM motor.
>> 3) I2C based GPIO & PWM motor.
>>
>> Frankly we made a motor framework at kernel. but I 'm not sure motor
>> is right naming or not.
>> I think we need new framework. since it's not input device.
>
> I am looking at 3rd type, and evaulating that for embedded systems
> devices having haptics chips can be programmed under drivers/input or
> not. It is kind of early discussion and gathering inputs on what could
> be lacking part in input subsystem for support such category of
> devices.
>
> Is it possible for you to submit your version of code and drivers? It
> will be good starting point for discussion.

Any updates on my request ?

---Trilok Soni

2009-09-07 11:54:32

by Joonyoung Shim

On 9/7/2009 8:29 PM, Trilok Soni wrote:
> Hi Kyungmin,
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Trilok Soni<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Kyungmin,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Kyungmin Park<[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There's three types as I know,
>>>
>>> 1) just GPIO enable motor
>>> 2) GPIO & PWM motor.
>>> 3) I2C based GPIO & PWM motor.
>>>
>>> Frankly we made a motor framework at kernel. but I 'm not sure motor
>>> is right naming or not.
>>> I think we need new framework. since it's not input device.
>> I am looking at 3rd type, and evaulating that for embedded systems
>> devices having haptics chips can be programmed under drivers/input or
>> not. It is kind of early discussion and gathering inputs on what could
>> be lacking part in input subsystem for support such category of
>> devices.
>>
>> Is it possible for you to submit your version of code and drivers? It
>> will be good starting point for discussion.
>
> Any updates on my request ?

Hi, I will post the haptic framework soon(maybe tomorrow) instead of
Kyungmin because he leaves a office for days.

> ---Trilok Soni

by Trilok Soni

Hi Joonyoung Shim,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Joonyoung Shim<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 9/7/2009 8:29 PM, Trilok Soni wrote:
>> Hi Kyungmin,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Trilok Soni<[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi Kyungmin,

>>> I am looking at 3rd type, and evaulating that for embedded systems
>>> devices having haptics chips can be programmed under drivers/input or
>>> not. It is kind of early discussion and gathering inputs on what could
>>> be lacking part in input subsystem for support such category of
>>> devices.
>>>
>>> Is it possible for you to submit your version of code and drivers? It
>>> will be good starting point for discussion.
>>
>> Any updates on my request ?
>>

> Hi, I will post the haptic framework soon(maybe tomorrow) instead of
> Kyungmin because he leaves a office for days.

Excellent. I just came back from vacation :)

--
---Trilok Soni
http://triloksoni.wordpress.com

2009-09-07 13:06:27

by Kyungmin Park

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Trilok Soni<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Joonyoung Shim,
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Joonyoung Shim<[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 9/7/2009 8:29 PM, Trilok Soni wrote:
>>> Hi Kyungmin,

>>> Any updates on my request ?
>>>

>> Hi, I will post the haptic framework soon(maybe tomorrow) instead of
>> Kyungmin because he leaves a office for days.
>
> Excellent. I just came back from vacation :)

FYI: I already finished the i2c based pwm & gpio devices. but I'm not
sure can release it at this time since we need to review it
internally.

Do you hear any patent issue? Since just one vendor (V company) has
almost patents related with vibrators.

Please find out the these.

Thank you,
Kyungmin Park

2009-09-13 10:20:52

by Pavel Machek

> >> Hi, I will post the haptic framework soon(maybe tomorrow) instead of
> >> Kyungmin because he leaves a office for days.
> >
> > Excellent. I just came back from vacation :)
> >

> FYI: I already finished the i2c based pwm & gpio devices. but I'm not
> sure can release it at this time since we need to review it
> internally.
>
> Do you hear any patent issue? Since just one vendor (V company) has
> almost patents related with vibrators.

> Please find out the these.

Please keep patent talk off lkml.
Pavel