2004-09-28 13:36:05

by Brian McGrew

Subject: Probing for System Model Information

Good morning All!

We exclusively ship Dell boxes with our hardware. However, we use several different models, 1400's, 1600's, 2350's, 4600's and so on. I need to write a small program to probe the system for the model information since I don't seem to find it in the logs anywhere.

I know the model info is in there somewhere and it's accessible because if I look on the default factory installed version of Windows, it's listed.

Does anyone know how to do this or can you point me to one that's already done or some samples?

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { [email protected] || [email protected] }
---
> YOU! Off my planet!

2004-09-28 13:47:15

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: Probing for System Model Information

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 06:32:31AM -0700, Brian McGrew wrote:
> Good morning All!
>
> We exclusively ship Dell boxes with our hardware. However, we use several different models, 1400's, 1600's, 2350's, 4600's and so on. I need to write a small program to probe the system for the model information since I don't seem to find it in the logs anywhere.
>
> I know the model info is in there somewhere and it's accessible because if I look on the default factory installed version of Windows, it's listed.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this or can you point me to one that's already done or some samples?

You can find this info in the DMI tables assuming Dell filled
them in with sensible data (which they usually do).

dmidecode will read these tables from userspace.

Dave

2004-09-28 13:54:28

by Jesper Juhl

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Brian McGrew wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:32:31 -0700
> From: Brian McGrew <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Probing for System Model Information
>
> Good morning All!
>
> We exclusively ship Dell boxes with our hardware. However, we use several different models, 1400's, 1600's, 2350's, 4600's and so on. I need to write a small program to probe the system for the model information since I don't seem to find it in the logs anywhere.
>
> I know the model info is in there somewhere and it's accessible because if I look on the default factory installed version of Windows, it's listed.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this or can you point me to one that's already done or some samples?

Can't answer your question, sorry, but have you considered asking Dell
that question (and then share the info later) ?

--
Jesper Juhl

2004-09-28 14:09:27

by Matt Domsch

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:47:05PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 06:32:31AM -0700, Brian McGrew wrote:
> > Good morning All! We exclusively ship Dell boxes with our
> > hardware. However, we use several different models, 1400's,
> > 1600's, 2350's, 4600's and so on. I need to write a small
> > program to probe the system for the model information since I
> > don't seem to find it in the logs anywhere. I know the model
> > info is in there somewhere and it's accessible because if I look
> > on the default factory installed version of Windows, it's listed.
> > Does anyone know how to do this or can you point me to one that's
> > already done or some samples?
>
> You can find this info in the DMI tables assuming Dell filled
> them in with sensible data (which they usually do).

Yes, we do. :-) I've abbreviated the output to serve as an example.

# dmidecode
Handle 0x0000
BIOS Information Block
Vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
Version: A08
Handle 0x0100
System Information Block
Vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
Product: PowerEdge 2400
Handle 0x0300
Chassis Information Block
Serial Number: MY_SERIAL_NUMBER
Asset Tag: 0000001

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer, Lead Engineer

by Buddy Lucas

Works for my Inspiron 5150. Thanks, didn't know that.

Cheers,
Buddy