2006-10-14 03:36:27

by Shawn Starr

Subject: bzip2 tarball 2.6.19-rc2 packaged wrong?

Linus, something in git broke the prepackaged tarball/bzip2 generation?

$ tar -jxvf linux-2.6.19-rc2.tar.bz2
linux-2.6.19-rc2.gitignore
linux-2.6.19-rc2COPYING
linux-2.6.19-rc2CREDITS
linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/
linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/00-INDEX
linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/ABI/
linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/ABI/README

-rc1 was ok.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,
Shawn.

2006-10-14 04:48:17

by Grant Coady

Subject: Re: bzip2 tarball 2.6.19-rc2 packaged wrong?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:36:20 -0400, Shawn Starr <[email protected]> wrote:

>Linus, something in git broke the prepackaged tarball/bzip2 generation?
>
>$ tar -jxvf linux-2.6.19-rc2.tar.bz2
>linux-2.6.19-rc2.gitignore
>linux-2.6.19-rc2COPYING
>linux-2.6.19-rc2CREDITS
>linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/
>linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/00-INDEX
>linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/ABI/
>linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/ABI/README
>
>-rc1 was ok.
>
>Anyone else notice this?

I download and running the .bz2 patch against 2.6.18 okay, no try full
tarball.

Grant.

2006-10-14 10:14:30

by René Scharfe

Shawn Starr schrieb:
> Linus, something in git broke the prepackaged tarball/bzip2 generation?
>
> $ tar -jxvf linux-2.6.19-rc2.tar.bz2
> linux-2.6.19-rc2.gitignore
> linux-2.6.19-rc2COPYING
> linux-2.6.19-rc2CREDITS
> linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/
> linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/00-INDEX
> linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/ABI/
> linux-2.6.19-rc2Documentation/ABI/README
>
> -rc1 was ok.

Perhaps tar generation has been switched to using git-archive instead of
git-tar-tree? There's an, admittedly, subtle difference in how the two
handle prefixes/basedirs. The following two commands do the same:

$ git-tar-tree rev basedir
$ git-archive --prefix=basedir/ rev

If you use --prefix and you want a base directory then you have to
provide your own slash (basedir = prefix + path_separator).

Ren?

2006-10-14 18:53:35

by Linus Torvalds

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Shawn Starr wrote:

> Linus, something in git broke the prepackaged tarball/bzip2 generation?

Sorry, yes.

I switched over my "release-script" that generates the tar-balls and
patches to use the new syntax for "git tar-tree" (now "git archive"), and
I screwed up by not having the slash in the prefix.

The old git-tar-tree would add the slash to the prefix automatically,
git-archive does not. Which is arguably a bug in git-archive. Oh, well.

I'll re-generate the tar-file.

Linus