2005-11-23 15:12:52

by Hiatt Gary-E3486C

Subject: Scratch install of Red Hat Linux 7.3 on a Dell Poweredge 1850

I need some help with finding out what I might be over looking trying to
load Red Hat Linux 7.3 on a Dell Poweredge 1850. It has a 2.80 GHz
Processor, a 300GB Seagate Cheetah HD, and 8192MB of ECC DDR2 memory. Since
there is no current Operating System loaded on it I allow the Linux software
to reformat the Hard Drive. After loading disks one and 2 if I chose the
Graphical login option the load will freeze after initializing the USB
ports. If I select the text mode I boot to a Grub prompt and if I give the
command to boot it says that I do not have a kernel loaded.

I do not have a lot of experience with Linux so I am most likely over
looking the obvious. If more information on the options selected for the
load is needed or if better details are needed please ask and I will get it
to you.

Thank You
Gary Hiatt

2005-11-23 16:05:44

by Alan

On Mer, 2005-11-23 at 09:12 -0600, Hiatt Gary-E3486C wrote:
> I need some help with finding out what I might be over looking trying to
> load Red Hat Linux 7.3

Thats the first thing to change. Red Hat 7.3 is very very old. Linux,
installers and the rest have come on a long way since then. Its a bit
like "I'm having trouble installing Windows 95 on my new machine".

Red Hat Linux itself has turned into Fedora Core (end user), and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux (packaged with support).

Alan

2005-11-23 16:16:25

by Hiatt Gary-E3486C

I agree with you but we are going to load Ubiquity software on this server
and they approve only the Red Hat Linux 7.3 load. I will write them and see
if we might use a newer load.

Thank You
Gary Hiatt

On Mer, 2005-11-23 at 09:12 -0600, Hiatt Gary-E3486C wrote:
> I need some help with finding out what I might be over looking trying to
> load Red Hat Linux 7.3

Thats the first thing to change. Red Hat 7.3 is very very old. Linux,
installers and the rest have come on a long way since then. Its a bit
like "I'm having trouble installing Windows 95 on my new machine".

Red Hat Linux itself has turned into Fedora Core (end user), and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux (packaged with support).

Alan

2005-11-24 09:08:23

by Jeff Woods

At 09:12 -0600 11/23/2005, Hiatt Gary-E3486C wrote:
>I need some help with finding out what I might be over looking
>trying to load Red Hat Linux 7.3

Which looks to me like it was released 2002-04-19 which is now more
than 2.5 years old. That's a lot in dog-years!

>on a Dell Poweredge 1850. It has a 2.80 GHz Processor, a 300GB
>Seagate Cheetah HD, and 8192MB of ECC DDR2 memory.

Some of the technology in a Dell 1850 didn't exist in April 2002. Try
installing a current Linux kernel system.

The current, most direct logical descendant of Red Hat 7.3 is
probably Fedora Core 4, although you may prefer RHEL or some other
distribution for a server like the 1850.

--
Jeff Woods <[email protected]>

2005-11-24 11:00:31

by Jeff Kirsher

On 11/23/05, Hiatt Gary-E3486C <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree with you but we are going to load Ubiquity software on this server
> and they approve only the Red Hat Linux 7.3 load. I will write them and see
> if we might use a newer load.
>
> Thank You
> Gary Hiatt
>
> Subject: Re: Scratch install of Red Hat Linux 7.3 on a Dell Poweredge 1850
>
> On Mer, 2005-11-23 at 09:12 -0600, Hiatt Gary-E3486C wrote:
> > I need some help with finding out what I might be over looking trying to
> > load Red Hat Linux 7.3
>
> Thats the first thing to change. Red Hat 7.3 is very very old. Linux,
> installers and the rest have come on a long way since then. Its a bit
> like "I'm having trouble installing Windows 95 on my new machine".
>
> Red Hat Linux itself has turned into Fedora Core (end user), and Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux (packaged with support).
>
> Alan
> -

While I agree with Alan and Jeff's response about using a newer
kernel, I do have some suggestions. I personally had similar
experience when installing on newer Dell servers and found the issue
to be the LSI drivers. While installation found the hard drive and
completed installation, I found that I needed to load the latest LSI
drivers during the install to get the system to boot correctly. I
checked the Dell site and they do provide drivers for Red Hat 7.3, so
I would try loading the appropriate drivers for your system.

Jeff