2009-09-23 00:54:41

by Marc Dionne

Subject: Current git: no keyboard when booting in verbose mode

Hi,

I'm having issues with the current kernel in git, and wondering if
this will ring a bell for anyone.
The main symptom is that on most boots the keyboard is not detected -
the system gets to the console login prompt but input is not
recognized. Sometimes (rarely) the keyboard will be ok at the
console, but the keyboard and mouse are non functional once in X.
Other times the system will hang before getting to the console login
prompt.

I made a few attempts to bisect this but with no success - I assume
that I'm led astray at some point by a bad kernel that happens to boot
normally a few times.

Things to note:
- The problem only occurs in verbose mode - if I boot with "quiet"
everything is fine
- 2.6.31 has no issues on the same machine
- On a failed boot with no keyboard, this line is missing from dmesg:
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2
- Otherwise there are no obvious differences with dmesg from a successful boot.

config is attached

Marc

Attachments:
.config (61.39 kB)

2009-09-23 09:09:55

by Jiri Kosina

[ adding some CCs ]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:

> I'm having issues with the current kernel in git, and wondering if this
> will ring a bell for anyone. The main symptom is that on most boots the
> keyboard is not detected - the system gets to the console login prompt
> but input is not recognized. Sometimes (rarely) the keyboard will be ok
> at the console, but the keyboard and mouse are non functional once in X.

Are both keyboard and mouse in question PS/2?

> Other times the system will hang before getting to the console login
> prompt.
>
> I made a few attempts to bisect this but with no success - I assume
> that I'm led astray at some point by a bad kernel that happens to boot
> normally a few times.
>
> Things to note:
> - The problem only occurs in verbose mode - if I boot with "quiet"
> everything is fine
> - 2.6.31 has no issues on the same machine
> - On a failed boot with no keyboard, this line is missing from dmesg:
> AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2

Could you please provide output from kernel booted with 'i8042.debug' from
the failing case?

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

2009-09-23 12:21:10

by Marc Dionne

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Jiri Kosina <[email protected]> wrote:

> [ adding some CCs ]
>
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:
>
>> I'm having issues with the current kernel in git, and wondering if this
>> will ring a bell for anyone. The main symptom is that on most boots the
>> keyboard is not detected - the system gets to the console login prompt
>> but input is not recognized. ?Sometimes (rarely) the keyboard will be ok
>> at the console, but the keyboard and mouse are non functional once in X.
>
> Are both keyboard and mouse in question PS/2?

No - keyboard is PS/2 but the mouse is USB.

>> - On a failed boot with no keyboard, this line is missing from dmesg:
>> ? ? AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2
>
> Could you please provide output from kernel booted with 'i8042.debug' from
> the failing case?

Attached are the dmesg output for a successful boot (with "quiet") and
a failed one. I see that the i8042.debug output is quite different
for the 2 cases.

Marc

Attachments:
good_i8042 (76.03 kB)
bad_i8042 (50.62 kB)

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:16:02AM -0400, Marc Dionne wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Jiri Kosina <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > [ adding some CCs ]
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:
> >
> >> I'm having issues with the current kernel in git, and wondering if this
> >> will ring a bell for anyone. The main symptom is that on most boots the
> >> keyboard is not detected - the system gets to the console login prompt
> >> but input is not recognized. ?Sometimes (rarely) the keyboard will be ok
> >> at the console, but the keyboard and mouse are non functional once in X.
> >
> > Are both keyboard and mouse in question PS/2?
>
> No - keyboard is PS/2 but the mouse is USB.
>
> >> - On a failed boot with no keyboard, this line is missing from dmesg:
> >> ? ? AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2
> >
> > Could you please provide output from kernel booted with 'i8042.debug' from
> > the failing case?
>
> Attached are the dmesg output for a successful boot (with "quiet") and
> a failed one. I see that the i8042.debug output is quite different
> for the 2 cases.

Hmm, nothing obvious jumps at me... Just keyboard not responding at all
in the bad case. Any chance of bisecting? Maybe check before first input
merge and after?

--
Dmitry