2008-06-26 11:54:18

by Jens Axboe

Subject: What's in linux-2.6-block.git for 2.6.27

Hi,

So this time it's a little beyond just block stuff, since the
generic-ipi branch is included (in preparation for block parts actually
using that code).

- xen block bits

- Write starvation fix for 'AS', a very long standing bug

- CFQ using the message trace for debugging.

- Ability to inject messages into the blktrace stream from user space,
which helps annotate a longer running trace where you make changes
meanwhile.

- Finally kill off request_queue_t typedef.

- The data integrity block parts.

- Export of the disk read-only attribute in sysfs

- The generic-ipi smp helpers and a slew of arch conversions.

All of the above can be viewed/tested in the for-next branch, which is
what Stephen is pulling as well. For manual code browsing, go to gitweb
here:

http://git.kernel.dk/?p=linux-2.6-block.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/for-next

or pull

git://git.kernel.dk/linux-2.6-block.git for-next

if you want to get at the source. Changelog below.

Adel Gadllah (1):
allow userspace to modify scsi command filter on per device basis

Alan D. Brunelle (1):
Added in user-injected messages into blk traces

Christian Limpach (1):
xen/blkfront: Add the CDROM_GET_CAPABILITY ioctl to blkfront.

Divyesh Shah (1):
block: Fix the starving writes bug in the anticipatory IO scheduler

Ian Campbell (2):
xen/blkfront: Make sure we don't use bounce buffers, we don't need them.
xen: Avoid allocations causing swap activity on the resume path

Jan Beulich (1):
xen/blkfront: add __exit to module_exit() handlers

Jens Axboe (21):
cfq-iosched: properly protect ioc_gone and ioc count
as-iosched: properly protect ioc_gone and ioc count
cfq-iosched: add message logging through blktrace
block: kill request_queue_t
block: integrity checkpatch cleanups
block: blkdev.h cleanup, move iocontext stuff to iocontext.h
block: integrity cleanups
block: turn immediate wait_on_buffer() async write into sync
Add generic helpers for arch IPI function calls
x86: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
powerpc: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
ia64: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
alpha: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
arm: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
m32r: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
mips: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
parisc: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
sh: convert to generic helpers for IPI function calls
Merge branch 'generic-ipi' into for-next
Merge branch 'for-linus' into for-next
cfq-iosched: get rid of enable_idle being unused warning

Kay Sievers (1):
block: export "ro" attribute

Martin K. Petersen (3):
block: Globalize bio_set and bio_vec_slab
block: Block layer data integrity support
block: Data integrity infrastructure documentation

Wim Colgate (1):
xen/blkfront: Make sure that the device is fully ready before allowing release.

Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-block | 34 ++
Documentation/block/data-integrity.txt | 327 +++++++++++++
arch/Kconfig | 3 +
arch/alpha/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/alpha/kernel/core_marvel.c | 6 +-
arch/alpha/kernel/smp.c | 170 +------
arch/arm/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/arm/kernel/smp.c | 157 +------
arch/ia64/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/ia64/kernel/smp.c | 250 +---------
arch/ia64/kernel/smpboot.c | 4 +-
arch/m32r/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/m32r/kernel/m32r_ksyms.c | 3 -
arch/m32r/kernel/smp.c | 128 +-----
arch/m32r/kernel/traps.c | 3 +-
arch/mips/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/mips/kernel/smp.c | 141 +-----
arch/mips/kernel/smtc.c | 1 -
arch/parisc/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/parisc/kernel/smp.c | 134 +-----
arch/powerpc/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c | 234 +---------
arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/interrupt.c | 1 +
arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3/smp.c | 7 +-
arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/xics.c | 6 +-
arch/powerpc/sysdev/mpic.c | 2 +-
arch/sh/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/sh/kernel/smp.c | 48 +--
arch/sparc64/kernel/smp.c | 11 +-
arch/x86/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/x86/kernel/apic_32.c | 4 +
arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.S | 3 +
arch/x86/kernel/i8259_64.c | 4 +
arch/x86/kernel/smp.c | 158 +------
arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c | 4 +-
arch/x86/kernel/smpcommon.c | 56 ---
arch/x86/mach-voyager/voyager_smp.c | 94 +---
arch/x86/xen/enlighten.c | 4 +-
arch/x86/xen/mmu.c | 2 +-
arch/x86/xen/smp.c | 133 ++----
arch/x86/xen/xen-ops.h | 9 +-
block/Kconfig | 12 +
block/Makefile | 4 +-
block/as-iosched.c | 20 +-
block/blk-core.c | 7 +
block/blk-integrity.c | 384 +++++++++++++++
block/blk-merge.c | 3 +
block/blk.h | 8 +
block/blktrace.c | 45 ++
block/bsg.c | 38 +-
block/cfq-iosched.c | 83 +++-
block/cmd-filter.c | 325 +++++++++++++
block/elevator.c | 6 +
block/genhd.c | 12 +
block/scsi_ioctl.c | 121 +-----
drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c | 48 ++-
drivers/net/xen-netfront.c | 4 +-
drivers/scsi/sg.c | 40 +--
drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_client.c | 2 +-
drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_xs.c | 10 +-
fs/Makefile | 1 +
fs/bio-integrity.c | 719 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
fs/bio.c | 62 ++--
fs/buffer.c | 13 +-
include/asm-alpha/smp.h | 3 +-
include/asm-arm/smp.h | 3 +
include/asm-ia64/smp.h | 8 +-
include/asm-m32r/smp.h | 4 +
include/asm-mips/smp.h | 13 +-
include/asm-parisc/smp.h | 3 +
include/asm-powerpc/smp.h | 8 +-
include/asm-sh/smp.h | 14 +-
include/asm-x86/hw_irq_32.h | 1 +
include/asm-x86/hw_irq_64.h | 2 +
include/asm-x86/mach-default/entry_arch.h | 1 +
include/asm-x86/mach-default/irq_vectors.h | 1 +
include/asm-x86/mach-voyager/entry_arch.h | 2 +-
include/asm-x86/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h | 4 +-
include/asm-x86/smp.h | 21 +-
include/asm-x86/xen/events.h | 1 +
include/linux/bio.h | 130 +++++-
include/linux/blkdev.h | 127 +++++-
include/linux/blktrace_api.h | 1 +
include/linux/fs.h | 1 +
include/linux/genhd.h | 12 +
include/linux/iocontext.h | 18 +
include/linux/smp.h | 35 ++-
init/main.c | 2 +
kernel/Makefile | 1 +
kernel/smp.c | 383 +++++++++++++++
create mode 100644 Documentation/block/data-integrity.txt
create mode 100644 block/blk-integrity.c
create mode 100644 block/cmd-filter.c
create mode 100644 fs/bio-integrity.c
create mode 100644 kernel/smp.c

--
Jens Axboe

2008-06-26 12:22:37

by Oliver Pinter

Subject: Re: What's in linux-2.6-block.git for 2.6.27

Hi Jens!

this: - Write starvation fix for 'AS', a very long standing bug for
2.6.26 is to big change?

On 6/26/08, Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> include/asm-sh/smp.h | 14 +-
> include/asm-x86/hw_irq_32.h | 1 +
> include/asm-x86/hw_irq_64.h | 2 +
> include/asm-x86/mach-default/entry_arch.h | 1 +
> include/asm-x86/mach-default/irq_vectors.h | 1 +
> include/asm-x86/mach-voyager/entry_arch.h | 2 +-
> include/asm-x86/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h | 4 +-
> include/asm-x86/smp.h | 21 +-
> include/asm-x86/xen/events.h | 1 +
> include/linux/bio.h | 130 +++++-
> include/linux/blkdev.h | 127 +++++-
> include/linux/blktrace_api.h | 1 +
> include/linux/fs.h | 1 +
> include/linux/genhd.h | 12 +
> include/linux/iocontext.h | 18 +
> include/linux/smp.h | 35 ++-
> init/main.c | 2 +
> kernel/Makefile | 1 +
> kernel/smp.c | 383 +++++++++++++++
> create mode 100644 Documentation/block/data-integrity.txt
> create mode 100644 block/blk-integrity.c

Oliver

2008-06-26 12:26:59

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Jun 26 2008, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> Hi Jens!
>
> this: - Write starvation fix for 'AS', a very long standing bug for
> 2.6.26 is to big change?

Probably not, but since this bug has existed for years with very little
impact, it's not critical enough to warrant direct inclusion. Thus, it's
queued up with the rest of the changes for the next release.

--
Jens Axboe

2008-06-26 12:50:07

by Oliver Pinter

thanks for the fast response

On 6/26/08, Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26 2008, Oliver Pinter wrote:
>> Hi Jens!
>>
>> this: - Write starvation fix for 'AS', a very long standing bug for
>> 2.6.26 is to big change?
>
> Probably not, but since this bug has existed for years with very little
> impact, it's not critical enough to warrant direct inclusion. Thus, it's
> queued up with the rest of the changes for the next release.
>
> --
> Jens Axboe

Oliver

2008-06-26 14:36:44

by FUJITA Tomonori

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:54:04 +0200
Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So this time it's a little beyond just block stuff, since the
> generic-ipi branch is included (in preparation for block parts actually
> using that code).
>
> - xen block bits
>
> - Write starvation fix for 'AS', a very long standing bug
>
> - CFQ using the message trace for debugging.
>
> - Ability to inject messages into the blktrace stream from user space,
> which helps annotate a longer running trace where you make changes
> meanwhile.
>
> - Finally kill off request_queue_t typedef.
>
> - The data integrity block parts.
>
> - Export of the disk read-only attribute in sysfs
>
> - The generic-ipi smp helpers and a slew of arch conversions.
>
> All of the above can be viewed/tested in the for-next branch, which is
> what Stephen is pulling as well. For manual code browsing, go to gitweb
> here:

Can you add a patch to add bounce support to blk_rq_map_user_iov?

http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=121299573730764&w=2

2008-06-26 17:59:33

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Jun 26 2008, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:54:04 +0200
> Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So this time it's a little beyond just block stuff, since the
> > generic-ipi branch is included (in preparation for block parts actually
> > using that code).
> >
> > - xen block bits
> >
> > - Write starvation fix for 'AS', a very long standing bug
> >
> > - CFQ using the message trace for debugging.
> >
> > - Ability to inject messages into the blktrace stream from user space,
> > which helps annotate a longer running trace where you make changes
> > meanwhile.
> >
> > - Finally kill off request_queue_t typedef.
> >
> > - The data integrity block parts.
> >
> > - Export of the disk read-only attribute in sysfs
> >
> > - The generic-ipi smp helpers and a slew of arch conversions.
> >
> > All of the above can be viewed/tested in the for-next branch, which is
> > what Stephen is pulling as well. For manual code browsing, go to gitweb
> > here:
>
> Can you add a patch to add bounce support to blk_rq_map_user_iov?
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=121299573730764&w=2

Yep, done.

--
Jens Axboe

2008-06-27 09:00:50

by Milan Broz

Jens Axboe wrote:
> So this time it's a little beyond just block stuff, since the
> generic-ipi branch is included (in preparation for block parts actually
> using that code).

Hi,

please could you also add this patch?
http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/agk/patches/2.6/editing/dm-md-merge_bvec_fn-with-separate-bdev-and-sector.patch

(following device-mapper bvec merge function patches rely on it...)

Or is there some objections to not include it?

Thanks,
Milan

by Jens Axboe

On Fri, Jun 27 2008, Milan Broz wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
> > So this time it's a little beyond just block stuff, since the
> > generic-ipi branch is included (in preparation for block parts actually
> > using that code).
>
> Hi,
>
> please could you also add this patch?
> http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/agk/patches/2.6/editing/dm-md-merge_bvec_fn-with-separate-bdev-and-sector.patch
>
> (following device-mapper bvec merge function patches rely on it...)
>
> Or is there some objections to not include it?

Yep, I have agreed to that patch before, I'll add it.

--
Jens Axboe