2002-06-03 05:39:54

by Borsenkow Andrej

Subject: RE: Decoding of addreses in kernel logs

> On Thu, 30 May 2002 10:57:50 +0400,
> Borsenkow Andrej <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Are there any cases except oopses when decoding of addresses in
kernel logs
> >is needed? The reason is I'd like to switch from klogd+syslogd to
other
> >logging system and I was adviced to forget klogd and just get logs
from
> >/proc/kmsg and decode them with ksymoops. While I have no problem
with it
> >actually, my concern is - is it possible that some information in
kernel
> >logs can be decoded by klogd but not by ksymoops?
>
> It is the other way around. ksymoops decodes far more than klogd
does.
> ksymoops has been continually extended as new diagnostics are added to
> the kernel, klogd has not.

Thank you. My only concern is that klogd decodes addresses in real time
(if it is able to do it at all) while ksymoops is usually postmortem. It
means that ksymoops may not have access to real module addresses?

-andrej

2002-06-03 05:44:38

by Keith Owens

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:39:41 +0400,
Borsenkow Andrej <[email protected]> wrote:
>Thank you. My only concern is that klogd decodes addresses in real time
>(if it is able to do it at all) while ksymoops is usually postmortem. It
>means that ksymoops may not have access to real module addresses?

klogd rarely has access to module addresses either. klogd loads its
module list at startup, not when modules are loaded or unloaded. There
is support in both insmod and ksymoops for module decoding, man insmod
and look for ksymoops assistance.