2002-11-20 16:56:30

by Rus Foster

Subject: Patching 2.5.xx

Hi All,
I've decided to start trying out the 2.5 kernels and I've got the 2.5.47
tarball and the 2.5.48 patch. However looking at the diff file its trying
to create an a and b directory. Is there a special significance for this
and how do I go about applying the patch?

Rgds

Rus Foster

2002-11-20 17:01:37

by Adrian Bunk

Subject: Re: Patching 2.5.xx

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:03:30PM +0000, Rus Foster wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi Rus,

> I've decided to start trying out the 2.5 kernels and I've got the 2.5.47
> tarball and the 2.5.48 patch. However looking at the diff file its trying
> to create an a and b directory. Is there a special significance for this
> and how do I go about applying the patch?

cd linux-2.5.47
zcat ../patch-2.5.48.gz | patch -p1

> Rgds
>
> Rus Foster

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2002-11-20 17:06:48

by Holzrichter, Bruce

> Hi All,
> I've decided to start trying out the 2.5 kernels and I've got
> the 2.5.47
> tarball and the 2.5.48 patch. However looking at the diff
> file its trying
> to create an a and b directory. Is there a special
> significance for this
> and how do I go about applying the patch?

`man patch` would be your friend here:

-pnum or --strip=num
Strip the smallest prefix containing num leading slashes from
each file name
found in the patch file. A sequence of one or more adjacent
slashes is counted
as a single slash. This controls how file names found in the
patch file are
treated, in case you keep your files in a different directory than
the person who
sent out the patch. For example, supposing the file name in the
patch file was

/u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

setting -p0 gives the entire file name unmodified, -p1 gives

u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

without the leading slash, -p4 gives

blurfl/blurfl.c

and not specifying -p at all just gives you blurfl.c. Whatever
you end up with
is looked for either in the current directory, or the directory
specified by the
-d option.

2002-11-20 17:03:41

by Lucio Maciel

just go into your kernel source dir and patch -p1

bash-2.05a$ cd linux
bash-2.05a$ zcat ../patch-2.5.48.gz |patch -p1

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:03:30 +0000 (GMT)
Rus Foster <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've decided to start trying out the 2.5 kernels and I've got the 2.5.47
> tarball and the 2.5.48 patch. However looking at the diff file its trying
> to create an a and b directory. Is there a special significance for this
> and how do I go about applying the patch?
>
> Rgds
>
> Rus Foster
>
> -

::: Lucio F. Maciel