2006-09-19 19:14:55

by djwong

Subject: Multi-Initiator SAS

Hi everybody!

Alexis and I connected both a Adaptec 9410 and a LSI 1064E SAS initiator
to an expander. Both machines saw the disks attached to the expander,
and both could send I/Os to the disks. So far, so good.

We then connected a SATA disk to the expander. libsas BUGd up in
sas_ex_discover_end_dev (sas_expander.c:636):

BUG_ON(sas_port_add(phy->port) != 0);

mptsas didn't seem to do anything with the SATA device at all, though
when we disconnected the SATA disk it recognized that a SATA device went
away. We'll have a look at the libsas problem in a jiffy.

--D

2006-09-19 20:05:19

by djwong

Subject: Re: Multi-Initiator SAS

Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> With the mptsas driver you can use smp_utils to look
> at that expander via /dev/mptctl ('modprobe mptctl' first).
> To get an overview of what the expander sees, try:
> # smp_discover -mb /dev/mptctl

Unfortunately, I see this:

root@elm3a253:~# smp_discover -mb /dev/mptctl
MPTCOMMAND ioctl failed: No such device
ioctl failed
smp_send_req failed, res=-1

...a strace of the app reveals this:

stat("/dev/mptctl", {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0660, st_rdev=makedev(10, 220),
...}) = 0
open("/dev/mptctl", O_RDWR) = 3
brk(0) = 0x508000
brk(0x529000) = 0x529000
ioctl(3, 0xc0486d14, 0x508010) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)

--D

2006-09-19 20:18:40

by Eric Moore

On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:15 PM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> Alexis and I connected both a Adaptec 9410 and a LSI 1064E
> SAS initiator
> to an expander. Both machines saw the disks attached to the expander,
> and both could send I/Os to the disks. So far, so good.
>
> We then connected a SATA disk to the expander. libsas BUGd up in
> sas_ex_discover_end_dev (sas_expander.c:636):
>
> BUG_ON(sas_port_add(phy->port) != 0);

Which expander are you using? I believe James has some sata work
arounds
for the sasx12, which has byte ordering issues.

Eric

2006-09-19 20:32:05

by Eric Moore

Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> Douglas Gilbert wrote:
>
> > With the mptsas driver you can use smp_utils to look
> > at that expander via /dev/mptctl ('modprobe mptctl' first).
> > To get an overview of what the expander sees, try:
> > # smp_discover -mb /dev/mptctl
>
> Unfortunately, I see this:

You need to pass the sas address of the expander.

./smp_discover --sa=sas_address /dev/mptctl

where sas_address can be found in
/sys/class/sas_device/expander-X:0/sas_address

2006-09-20 23:17:46

by djwong

Moore, Eric wrote:

> Which expander are you using? I believe James has some sata work
> arounds
> for the sasx12, which has byte ordering issues.

A Vitesse VSC7160.

Also, I think I might have complained about I/O errors accessing the
SATA disk via mptsas--the SATA disk that we were using (Maxtor 6Y080M0)
yields the same errors when attached to the HBA. I put in a Hitachi
SATA disk and it was fine with both controllers.

--D