2006-03-20 19:54:09

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Merge strategy for klibc

Okay, as of this point, I think klibc is in quite good shape; my
testing so far is showing that it can be used as a drop-in replacement
for the kernel root-mounting code.

That being said, there is guaranteed to be breakage, for two reasons:

a. There are several architectures which don't have klibc ports yet.
Since I don't have access to them, I can't really do them, either.
It's usually a matter of an afternoon or less to port klibc to a
new architecture, though, if you have a working development
environment for it.

b. There are a gajillion options in the way Linux handles its root
filesystem. I have tried to implement them all, but I haven't been
able to test some of the more exotic conditions, mostly due to the
fact that every boot environment I set up takes a *lot* of time and
maintenance. This has in fact been the by far the bulk of the time
I've spent on klibc, not writing code.

Thus, it's not clear to me what particular approach makes most sense for
pushing upstream.

1. Mechanism: the easiest for me would of course be git pull, but I'm
certainly willing to break it up into patches or any other useful way.

A diff of by git tree from 2.6.16 gives:

2. State: the current git tree cleans up the arch-specific code for i386
and x86-64; other architectures are going to need some minor cleanup in
setup.c or the equvalent.

The current git tree includes a number of utilities, like dash (sh),
which aren't used by the default kinit configuration. Additionally,
right now kinit is built monolitically, in other words there isn't a
CONFIG_ option to turn off nfsmount, for example.

Again, I'm more than willing to put the tree in any particular state
that makes sense.

3. Path: it probably would make sense to push this into -mm first?

It's taken this long, I'd like to make this actually happen...

-hpa

2006-03-20 20:19:11

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

Subject: Re: Merge strategy for klibc

On Mon, 2006-03-20 11:54:01 -0800, H. Peter Anvin <[email protected]> wrote:
> a. There are several architectures which don't have klibc ports yet.
> Since I don't have access to them, I can't really do them, either.
> It's usually a matter of an afternoon or less to port klibc to a
> new architecture, though, if you have a working development
> environment for it.

I haven't yet looked at your code, but what actually needs to be done?
Defining syscall macros?

I'd probably give it a try for VAX.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O

(No filename) (846.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Al Viro

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:54:01AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Okay, as of this point, I think klibc is in quite good shape; my
> testing so far is showing that it can be used as a drop-in replacement
> for the kernel root-mounting code.
>
> That being said, there is guaranteed to be breakage, for two reasons:
>
> a. There are several architectures which don't have klibc ports yet.
> Since I don't have access to them, I can't really do them, either.
> It's usually a matter of an afternoon or less to port klibc to a
> new architecture, though, if you have a working development
> environment for it.

Which ones?

2006-03-20 20:55:48

by Ingo Oeser

Hi,

first thanks for your good work on that!

On Monday, 20. March 2006 20:54, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> The current git tree includes a number of utilities, like dash (sh),
> which aren't used by the default kinit configuration.

But its quite useful to be dropped into a shell, if anything goes wrong.
e.g. ubuntu assumes an modular kernel, which I don't like to have
and I got dropped into the shell quite often until all scripts worked as
expected.

> Additionally,
> right now kinit is built monolitically, in other words there isn't a
> CONFIG_ option to turn off nfsmount, for example.

Yes, since after development of your init setup, you want to shrink it
as much as possible :-)

But all of this stuff is janitorial and can be done after merging the basic
ideas and completing the setup code move to user space.

Another idea is to still allow the current archive setups for initramfs,
because a static /dev might be best for embedded stuff where
you basically pre-compose a system image and download that to flash.

> 3. Path: it probably would make sense to push this into -mm first?

The usr/ part should go in ASAP, but please rip out the setup stuff
only after a grace period announced in Documentation/feature-removal.txt
or sth. like that.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.25 kB)
(No filename) (191.00 B)

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Re: [klibc] Re: Merge strategy for klibc

Al Viro wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:54:01AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>>Okay, as of this point, I think klibc is in quite good shape; my
>>testing so far is showing that it can be used as a drop-in replacement
>>for the kernel root-mounting code.
>>
>>That being said, there is guaranteed to be breakage, for two reasons:
>>
>>a. There are several architectures which don't have klibc ports yet.
>> Since I don't have access to them, I can't really do them, either.
>> It's usually a matter of an afternoon or less to port klibc to a
>> new architecture, though, if you have a working development
>> environment for it.
>
> Which ones?

This is the status of architectures in klibc, at least as far as I know.

Note that 64-bit architectures which have 32-bit fallback modes (e.g.
MIPS) can use the 32-bit klibc if applicable.

alpha: Working
arm-thumb: Untested
arm: Working
arm26: Not yet ported
cris: Working
h8300: Not yet ported
i386: Working
ia64: Working
m32r: Untested
m68k: Not yet ported
mips: Working
mips64: Not yet ported
parisc: Working
parisc64: Not yet ported
ppc: Working
ppc64: Working
s390: Working static, shared untested
s390x: Working
sh: Untested
sh64: Not yet ported
sparc: Working
sparc64: Untested
v850: Not yet ported
x86-64: Working
xtensa: Not yet ported

-hpa

2006-03-20 21:24:42

by H. Peter Anvin

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> I haven't yet looked at your code, but what actually needs to be done?
> Defining syscall macros?
>
> I'd probably give it a try for VAX.

Each architecture needs an assembly stub generator for most syscalls, a
crt0.S, plus adjustments for which syscalls are "special" (as in special
ed) on that architecture. There are also a couple of header files which
need per-architecture configuration information. All in all it is
usually a few hours worth of work, no more.

-hpa

2006-03-20 22:10:16

by Roman Zippel

Hi,