2019-07-04 12:03:51

by He, Bo

Subject: audio lost from speaker after reboot from windows on the device ALC295

Hi, patch_realtek.c maintainer:
I see one issue that reboot from windows and boot to ubuntu, the audio lost from speaker, I suspect there are some bugs in patch_realtek.c drivers, the device is ALC295 and the device id is 0x10ec0295.

I have done the below experiments:
1. reboot from windows to windows, the audio is persist .
2. reboot from windows to ubuntu, the audio lost from speaker, but can hear if I hotplug one earphone.
3. if the issue reproduce after reboot from windows, reboot the ubuntu can't restore the audio, I suspect it's warm reset.
4. if I write the port 0xcf9 with 0xe to do cold reset, the audio can restore.
5. if I do suspend/resume, the audio can restore, I suspect do cold boot and suspend will trigger the platform reset to reset the ALC295.
6. if I do double function reset (write the verb 0x7ff in alc_init), the audio is still can't restore.
snd_hda_codec_write(codec, 0x01, 0, AC_VERB_SET_CODEC_RESET, 0); /* Function reset */
snd_hda_codec_write(codec, 0x01, 0, AC_VERB_SET_CODEC_RESET, 0); /* double Function reset */
7. the issue is first found on kernel 4.19.50, I still see the issue with the latest kernel 5.2-rc2, is it possible windows change some default registers, but ALC295 don't initialize the register?

2019-07-05 00:12:03

by Hui Wang

Maybe your machine has an external amplifier which needs to be set by
software before it can work.

On 2019/7/4 下午8:02, He, Bo wrote:
> Hi, patch_realtek.c maintainer:
> I see one issue that reboot from windows and boot to ubuntu, the audio lost from speaker, I suspect there are some bugs in patch_realtek.c drivers, the device is ALC295 and the device id is 0x10ec0295.
>
> I have done the below experiments:
> 1. reboot from windows to windows, the audio is persist .
> 2. reboot from windows to ubuntu, the audio lost from speaker, but can hear if I hotplug one earphone.
> 3. if the issue reproduce after reboot from windows, reboot the ubuntu can't restore the audio, I suspect it's warm reset.
> 4. if I write the port 0xcf9 with 0xe to do cold reset, the audio can restore.
> 5. if I do suspend/resume, the audio can restore, I suspect do cold boot and suspend will trigger the platform reset to reset the ALC295.
> 6. if I do double function reset (write the verb 0x7ff in alc_init), the audio is still can't restore.
> snd_hda_codec_write(codec, 0x01, 0, AC_VERB_SET_CODEC_RESET, 0); /* Function reset */
> snd_hda_codec_write(codec, 0x01, 0, AC_VERB_SET_CODEC_RESET, 0); /* double Function reset */
> 7. the issue is first found on kernel 4.19.50, I still see the issue with the latest kernel 5.2-rc2, is it possible windows change some default registers, but ALC295 don't initialize the register?

2019-07-05 02:44:21

by Kailang

Hi Bo He,

Could you help to dump info for us?
Please use attach file to get results.

./alsa-info.sh --no-upload

You will find dump file in folder /tmp/alsa-info.txt-????????.

Please run one time in normal state and one time in fail state.
Please send two result files to me.

BR,
Kailang

2019-07-05 02:46:13

by Kailang

Sorry!!
Forgot attach file.

Attachments:
alsa-info.sh (27.08 kB)
alsa-info.sh

2019-07-05 03:50:55

by He, Bo

Hi, Kailiang:
Thanks for your tools, here are the two enclosed alsa-info with and without sound.

> [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
> Subject: RE: audio lost from speaker after reboot from windows on the
> device
> ALC295
>
> Hi Bo He,
>
> Could you help to dump info for us?
> Please use attach file to get results.
>
> ./alsa-info.sh --no-upload
>
> You will find dump file in folder /tmp/alsa-info.txt-????????.
>
> Please run one time in normal state and one time in fail state.
> Please send two result files to me.
>
> BR,
> Kailang

alsa-info_without_sound.txt (41.98 kB)