2003-08-21 11:38:40

by John Newbie

Subject: Maybe remove request_module("scsi_hostadapter"); from ->

drivers/scsi/scsi.c ?
The main purpose of it is just adding error messages to dmesg, like this one

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

I saw this on most ide-based boxes.
The reason is that scsi subsystem starts before mounting
root FS, so where we can get modules.conf and insmod ?

by Sean Neakums

"John Newbie" <[email protected]> writes:

> The reason is that scsi subsystem starts before mounting
> root FS, so where we can get modules.conf and insmod ?

Consider IDE systems with SCSI peripherals and SCSI built modular.

2003-08-21 13:43:12

by John Newbie

>Consider IDE systems with SCSI peripherals and SCSI built modular.

In my opinion the best solution is to surround
request_module("scsi_hostadapter");
with
#ifdef CONFIG_SCSI_MODULE
in addition to CONFIG_KMOD

Agree?

by Sean Neakums

"John Newbie" <[email protected]> writes:

>>Consider IDE systems with SCSI peripherals and SCSI built modular.
>
> In my opinion the best solution is to surround
> request_module("scsi_hostadapter");
> with
> #ifdef CONFIG_SCSI_MODULE
> in addition to CONFIG_KMOD
>
> Agree?

There already exists a solution, which is to alias scsi_hostadapter to
off.

2003-08-21 13:44:48

by John Newbie

>There already exists a solution, which is to alias scsi_hostadapter to
>off.

Ok, I have IDE box with scsi built in (not module), many people have such
boxes,
I have alias scsi_hostadapter off, and I _have_ this annoying pseudo-error
message.
(As I've said scsi starts before we can access modules.conf)

My solution is better. It is tested. Works perfect. All happy.
Please apply.