2005-05-09 05:00:44

by li nux

Subject: NPTL: pid of a thread and gdb

I am using the NPTL ilbrary to create a thread.
In NPTL the parent and the thread have the same pid.
Then on what basis gdb differentiates between the
threads which have the same pid ?
gdb gives following message when it encounters a
pthread_create() statement:

[New Thread 1075138688 (LWP 7034)]
[New Thread 1077242800 (LWP 7037)]

the LWP 7034 is the pid of parent process (in this
case LWP is same as pid).
from where does it calculate LWP 7037 for the thread ?
(in this case LWP is different from pid, pid for the
thread is still 7034)

-lnxluv

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

2005-05-09 08:20:34

by Sean Neakums

Subject: Re: NPTL: pid of a thread and gdb

li nux <[email protected]> writes:

> I am using the NPTL ilbrary to create a thread.
> In NPTL the parent and the thread have the same pid.
> Then on what basis gdb differentiates between the
> threads which have the same pid ?

See gettid(2).

--
Dag vijandelijk luchtschip de huismeester is dood