2006-01-11 14:48:32

by Reinhold Jordan

Subject: option memmap

Hello,

is there any documentation for this option better than this in
linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt ?

I have a laptop with a defect memory soldered on the main-board.
128KB of 128MB are defect started at 7936KB

As I read from kernel-parameters.txt the option
memmap=128K$7936K
reserve this area. But this seems to be simply ignored. Even, if I
fade out 64MB, Knoppix still create a RAM disk, which is larger
as the remaining memory...

Does someone know advice?

Thanks, regards, Reinhold

--

Reinhold Jordan
WWW: http://reinhold.bachrain.de Mail: [email protected]

2006-01-12 09:57:47

by Reinhold Jordan

Subject: Re: option memmap

Hello,

is there any problem with this question? Who should I ask
kernel dependent questions beside the kernel developers?

Regards, Reinhold

--
ASC telecom AG Research & Development
Seibelstr. 2 F: +49-6021-5001-309

2006-01-12 14:54:04

by Ram Gupta

On 1/12/06, Reinhold Jordan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any problem with this question? Who should I ask
> kernel dependent questions beside the kernel developers?
>
> Regards, Reinhold
>
> Reinhold Jordan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there any documentation for this option better than this in
> > linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt ?
> >
> > I have a laptop with a defect memory soldered on the main-board.
> > 128KB of 128MB are defect started at 7936KB

Did you use memmap option in combination with mem option.mem option is
used to specify the amount of memory to be used & memmap specifies the
region map.

regards
Ram Gupta

2006-01-15 23:53:15

by Randy Dunlap

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:48:29 +0100 Reinhold Jordan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there any documentation for this option better than this in
> linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt ?
>
> I have a laptop with a defect memory soldered on the main-board.
> 128KB of 128MB are defect started at 7936KB
>
> As I read from kernel-parameters.txt the option
> memmap=128K$7936K
> reserve this area. But this seems to be simply ignored. Even, if I
> fade out 64MB, Knoppix still create a RAM disk, which is larger
> as the remaining memory...
>
> Does someone know advice?

Please give the complete list of kernel boot options that
you used.

Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt does say (for IA-32)
to use mem= and memmap= together in some cases.

And there are some comments in the source code
(arch/i386/kernel/setup.c) but they probably don't help
any more than the Doc file does:

* "mem=XXX[kKmM]" defines a memory region from HIGH_MEM
* to <mem>, overriding the bios size.
* "memmap=XXX[KkmM]@XXX[KkmM]" defines a memory region from

---
~Randy

2006-01-17 08:08:23

by Reinhold Jordan

Hello,

> Did you use memmap option in combination with mem option.mem option is
> used to specify the amount of memory to be used & memmap specifies the
> region map.

thanks for this hint. Now I see a difference between
memmap=128K$7936K mem=130944K
and
mem=130944K memmap=128K$7936K
With mem first, the memmap region is listed as user defined. With memmap
first, it isn't.

But I have to do more tests. In both cases my system crash on heavy load.
After trying the badram patch I'm not sure, that my address ranges are
correct...

Thanks, Reinhold