2019-09-16 23:08:17

by Steven Rostedt

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.72-rt25

Dear RT Folks,

I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.72-rt25 stable release.

**** <NOTE> ****

As you probably have noticed, it has been a long time since I released
a stable 4.19-rt. The reason for this delay is that one of my tests
failed after merging with the latest stable upstream. I refuse to push
releases with a known bug in it, so I figured I would find the bug
before releasing. I only spend around 4 to 6 hours a week on upstream
stable RT as I have other responsibilities, and I could not debug this
bug during that time (after several weeks of trying).

The bug is a random NULL pointer dereference that only happens with
lockdep enabled and on 32bit x86. I also found that this bug existed
before the latest stable pull release but now it is much easier to
trigger.

I have not been able to trigger this bug in the 64 bit kernel, and as I
rather do a release than waste more time on this bug and postpone the
release further, I am now doing that. As a consequence, I am no longer
supporting 32bit x86, as it is known to have this bug.

If you are interested in this, I am willing to send out the config I am
using and one of the dmesg crashes. Just ask.

**** </NOTE> ****

This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.72 version
and no RT specific changes have been made.

You can get this release via the git tree at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git

branch: v4.19-rt
Head SHA1: 9cd04ab6a9a162ac4189a80032261d243563ff45

Or to build 4.19.72-rt25 directly, the following patches should be applied:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.tar.xz

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/patch-4.19.72.xz

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/patch-4.19.72-rt25.patch.xz

Enjoy,

-- Steve

2019-10-07 19:16:49

by gene heskett

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.72-rt25

On Monday 07 October 2019 15:10:05 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 16 September 2019 17:39:21 Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Dear RT Folks,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.72-rt25 stable release.
> >
> > **** <NOTE> ****
> >
> > As you probably have noticed, it has been a long time since I
> > released a stable 4.19-rt. The reason for this delay is that one of
> > my tests failed after merging with the latest stable upstream. I
> > refuse to push releases with a known bug in it, so I figured I would
> > find the bug before releasing. I only spend around 4 to 6 hours a
> > week on upstream stable RT as I have other responsibilities, and I
> > could not debug this bug during that time (after several weeks of
> > trying).
> >
> > The bug is a random NULL pointer dereference that only happens with
> > lockdep enabled and on 32bit x86. I also found that this bug existed
> > before the latest stable pull release but now it is much easier to
> > trigger.
> >
> > I have not been able to trigger this bug in the 64 bit kernel, and
> > as I rather do a release than waste more time on this bug and
> > postpone the release further, I am now doing that. As a consequence,
> > I am no longer supporting 32bit x86, as it is known to have this
> > bug.
> >
> > If you are interested in this, I am willing to send out the config I
> > am using and one of the dmesg crashes. Just ask.
> >
> > **** </NOTE> ****
> >

> > This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.72 version
> > and no RT specific changes have been made.
> >

> > You can get this release via the git tree at:
> >

> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
> >
> > branch: v4.19-rt
> > Head SHA1: 9cd04ab6a9a162ac4189a80032261d243563ff45

> > Or to build 4.19.72-rt25 directly, the following patches should be
> > applied:
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.tar.xz
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/patch-4.19.72.xz
> >

> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/patch-4.19.7
> >2- rt25.patch.xz
>
> Unfortunately, this does not work for the pi3-4 family. When its all
> pulled in and patched, there is no arch/arm/configs bcm2709_defconfig
> or bcm2711_defconfig for either a pi3b or the new pi4b.
>
> I'll go find the 5.2.14 announce and see if its any more complete.
Its disappeared.

> > Enjoy,
> >
> > -- Steve
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
- Louis D. Brandeis

by gene heskett

On Monday 16 September 2019 17:39:21 Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Dear RT Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.72-rt25 stable release.
>
> **** <NOTE> ****
>
> As you probably have noticed, it has been a long time since I released
> a stable 4.19-rt. The reason for this delay is that one of my tests
> failed after merging with the latest stable upstream. I refuse to push
> releases with a known bug in it, so I figured I would find the bug
> before releasing. I only spend around 4 to 6 hours a week on upstream
> stable RT as I have other responsibilities, and I could not debug this
> bug during that time (after several weeks of trying).
>
> The bug is a random NULL pointer dereference that only happens with
> lockdep enabled and on 32bit x86. I also found that this bug existed
> before the latest stable pull release but now it is much easier to
> trigger.
>
> I have not been able to trigger this bug in the 64 bit kernel, and as
> I rather do a release than waste more time on this bug and postpone
> the release further, I am now doing that. As a consequence, I am no
> longer supporting 32bit x86, as it is known to have this bug.
>
> If you are interested in this, I am willing to send out the config I
> am using and one of the dmesg crashes. Just ask.
>
> **** </NOTE> ****
>

> This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.72 version
> and no RT specific changes have been made.
>

> You can get this release via the git tree at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
>
> branch: v4.19-rt
> Head SHA1: 9cd04ab6a9a162ac4189a80032261d243563ff45

> Or to build 4.19.72-rt25 directly, the following patches should be
> applied:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.tar.xz
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/patch-4.19.72.xz
>

> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/patch-4.19.72-
>rt25.patch.xz

Unfortunately, this does not work for the pi3-4 family. When its all
pulled in and patched, there is no arch/arm/configs bcm2709_defconfig or
bcm2711_defconfig for either a pi3b or the new pi4b.

I'll go find the 5.2.14 announce and see if its any more complete.

> Enjoy,
>
> -- Steve

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
- Louis D. Brandeis

by Alexander Dahl

Hello Gene,

Am Montag, 7. Oktober 2019, 15:16:04 CEST schrieb Gene Heskett:
> On Monday 07 October 2019 15:10:05 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this does not work for the pi3-4 family. When its all
> > pulled in and patched, there is no arch/arm/configs bcm2709_defconfig
> > or bcm2711_defconfig for either a pi3b or the new pi4b.
> >
> > I'll go find the 5.2.14 announce and see if its any more complete.
>
> Its disappeared.

Not quite. Those were never (?) there. ;-)

You'll find those files in the raspberrypi tree [1], but not in mainline.

It is possible to run a vanilla kernel on RPi 1 to 3, I guess the
'multi_v7_defconfig' is a good start for 2 and 3. (This works, I have a
running RPi 3 with unpatched mainline kernel on my desk, without RT however.)

IIRC from linux-arm-kernel list, basic support for RPi 4 is still under review
and not yet present in mainline?

So you could try a RPi 2 or 3 with mainline + RT or you try to apply the RT
patches to the vendor/raspberry tree, but I would not count on anyone
supporting the latter.

HTH & Greets
Alex

[1] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux