2007-08-02 02:35:52

by Lee Revell

Subject: Re: SD still better than CFS for 3d ?(was Re: 2.6.23-rc1)

On 7/31/07, Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> Almost all of the Reiser3
> code runs under the BKL, and the only other major kernel infrastructure
> that has BKL dependencies is the TTY code.

Also NFS:

$ grep -rIi lock_kernel kernel-source/linux-2.6.17/fs/nfs/ | wc -l
94

Lee

2007-08-02 11:46:18

by Ingo Molnar

* Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 7/31/07, Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Almost all of the Reiser3
> > code runs under the BKL, and the only other major kernel infrastructure
> > that has BKL dependencies is the TTY code.
>
> Also NFS:
>
> $ grep -rIi lock_kernel kernel-source/linux-2.6.17/fs/nfs/ | wc -l
> 94

yeah - but i never saw NFS cause really big BKL latencies. IIRC it uses
the BKL mostly for archaic reasons, most of the NFS code is SMP-safe.
Almost all of the reiser3 code runs under the BKL on the other hand.

Ingo

2007-08-02 13:03:44

by J. Bruce Fields

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:35:41PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Almost all of the Reiser3
> > code runs under the BKL, and the only other major kernel infrastructure
> > that has BKL dependencies is the TTY code.
>
> Also NFS:
>
> $ grep -rIi lock_kernel kernel-source/linux-2.6.17/fs/nfs/ | wc -l
> 94

All the file locking code (the nfs-related stuff in fs/lockd/, and also
the vfs code in fs/locks.c) is under the kernel lock. I doubt it's held
very long unless you have ridiculous numbers of processes requesting
locks on the same file, but I don't know.

--b.

2007-08-02 13:39:31

by Trond Myklebust

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:45 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 7/31/07, Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Almost all of the Reiser3
> > > code runs under the BKL, and the only other major kernel infrastructure
> > > that has BKL dependencies is the TTY code.
> >
> > Also NFS:
> >
> > $ grep -rIi lock_kernel kernel-source/linux-2.6.17/fs/nfs/ | wc -l
> > 94
>
> yeah - but i never saw NFS cause really big BKL latencies. IIRC it uses
> the BKL mostly for archaic reasons, most of the NFS code is SMP-safe.
> Almost all of the reiser3 code runs under the BKL on the other hand.

We're still working on fixing the NFS case, but as everyone knows,
finding those last few obscure code sections which still depend on BKL
protection can be tedious work...

Trond