2003-01-22 11:38:34

by jamal

Subject: ok, which wise guy did this?

I just booted my spanking new P4 HT PC last night using 2.5.58
and to my dissapointment the enumeration of the ethx devices is
reversed. I have 5 ethernet ports on this; eth0-4 on 2.4.x are now listed
as eth4-0. This is rude.
I immediately pointed a finger at monsieur J Garzik (thinking ethernet,
PCI enumeration hmm) but he has denied any responsibility ;-> ;-> He
thinks it may be the sysfs people.
Can anyone give justification for this? Regardless of justification
can we have some form of backward compatibility flag?

cheers,
jamal

2003-01-22 12:04:51

by Chris Wedgwood

Subject: Re: ok, which wise guy did this?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:47:35AM -0500, jamal wrote:

> Can anyone give justification for this?

different bioses enumerate devices differently?

> Regardless of justification can we have some form of backward
> compatibility flag?

can you check if the bios is enumerating the devices the same way the
kernel presents them?

--cw

2003-01-22 12:10:11

by Padraig

jamal wrote:
> I just booted my spanking new P4 HT PC last night using 2.5.58
> and to my dissapointment the enumeration of the ethx devices is
> reversed. I have 5 ethernet ports on this; eth0-4 on 2.4.x are now listed
> as eth4-0. This is rude.

If you depend on the order then you must explicitly name the devices
like you want. I've done something like this in the past.

ip link set dev eth0 name interface-1
ip link set dev eth1 name interface-2

I guess you could use a temp name and keep the eth[0-4]
naming if you prefer.

P?draig.

2003-01-22 16:10:43

by Larry Sendlosky

Didn't the same thing happen in the 2.2 -> 2.4
transition? I believe it was for all PCI devices.
And I thought there was a boot arg something
like pci=reverse. Does it still exist?

larry