2023-10-31 00:06:00

by Mario Marietto

Subject: exynos-mixer 14450000.mixer: [drm:exynos_drm_register_dma] *ERROR* Device 14450000.mixer lacks support for IOMMU

Hello,

We are a team of linux enthusiasts who are trying to boot Xen on a
Samsung XE303C12 Chromebook aka "snow"
following the suggestions in the slide show presentation here:

https://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/xpds16-porting-xen-on-arm-to-a-new-soc-julien-grall-arm

This device uses an exynos5250 SOC dual core 1.7 GHz with 2 MB RAM, it is
a Samsung armv7 chip with virtualization extensions.

In particular, we have it working fairly well both on the bare metal with
a recent 6.1.59 Linux LTS kernel and also with a recent 5.4.257 LTS
kernel with KVM, the older LTS kernel version is used to test KVM because
support for KVM on arm v7 was removed from Linux around kernel version
5.7. So we know we have the hypervisor mode enabled because we were able
to use it with KVM.

For Xen, we are using the latest Debian build of Xen 4.17 for the Debian
armhf architecture:

(XEN) Xen version 4.17.2-pre (Debian 4.17.1+2-gb773c48e36-1)
(pkg-xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc (Debian
12.2.0-14) 12.2.0) debug=n Thu May 18 19:26:30 UTC 2023

The Linux kernel is a custom build that adds the Xen config kernel
options (CONFIG_XEN_DOM0, etc) on top of a kernel that works well on the
same Chromebook model on the bare metal. I can provide the config options
of the kernel that was used if that is helpful.

Our method of booting is to have u-boot boot the Xen hypervisor and load
the device tree after adding the dom0 to the otherwise unaltered device
tree from the Linux kernel using u-boot fdt commands to add a /chosen
node, as described on the Xen wiki and in the pages linked from there. We
have also tried adding and loading an initrd.img using the device tree
/chosen node but that made no difference in our tests.

We actually have the Linux LTS kernel version 6.1.59 working as dom0 with
Xen using the same version of u-boot that we used for KVM, but with a big
problem.

The problem we see is that when booting the 6.1.59 kernel version as dom0
with Xen, the screen is totally dark and the only way to access the
system is remotely through ssh. Logs indicate most everything else is
working, such as the wifi card so we can access it remotely via ssh and a
USB optical mouse lights up when connected so USB is also working.
Obviously, the disk is also working. The Chromebook is configured to boot
from the device's SD card slot by turning on Chrome OS developer mode
options to enable booting from the SD card slot.

The mystery is that when booting the exact same 6.1.59 kernel on the bare
metal instead of booting it as dom0 on Xen, it boots up with full access
to the screen and we can interact with the system using the X.org windows
system. But booting as dom0 with Xen, the screen is totally dark and the
only access we have to the system is through the network via ssh. Also,
when booting the 5.4.257 kernel with KVM in hypervisor mode, the screen
works and we can interact with the system through the X.org windows
system.

Exploring the log file,we have seen the errors below :

With Xen (or in bare metal):

devuan-bunsen kernel: [drm] Exynos DRM: using 14400000.fimd device for
DMA mapping operations
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: bound 14400000.fimd (ops
0xc0d96354)
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: bound 14450000.mixer (ops
0xc0d97554)
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: bound
145b0000.dp-controller (ops 0xc0d97278)
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: bound 14530000.hdmi (ops
0xc0d97bd0)
devuan-bunsen kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 170x48
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: [drm] fb0: exynosdrmfb
frame buffer device
devuan-bunsen kernel: [drm] Initialized exynos 1.1.0 20180330 for
exynos-drm on minor 0

In this case,the kernel is able to use the exynos-drm kernel to start
the fb0 device. But with Xen we get this error with exynos-drm:

devuan-bunsen kernel: [drm] Exynos DRM: using 14400000.fimd device for
DMA mapping operations
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: bound 14400000.fimd (ops
0xc0d96354)
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-mixer 14450000.mixer:
[drm:exynos_drm_register_dma] *ERROR* Device 14450000.mixer lacks
support for IOMMU
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: failed to bind
14450000.mixer (ops 0xc0d97554): -22
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: adev bind failed: -22
devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-dp: probe of 145b0000.dp-controller
failed with error -22

Any ideas why booting the same Linux kernel that results in a working
X.org display on the bare metal instead as dom0 on Xen would cause the
display to remain dark, but most other basic functions would work, such
as network, disk, and USB ? thanks.

--
Mario.

2023-10-31 12:10:16

by Marek Szyprowski

Hi,

On 31.10.2023 00:03, Mario Marietto wrote:
> [...]
> [drm:exynos_drm_register_dma] *ERROR* Device 14450000.mixer lacks
> support for IOMMU
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: failed to bind
> 14450000.mixer (ops 0xc0d97554): -22
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: adev bind failed: -22
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-dp: probe of 145b0000.dp-controller
> failed with error -22
>
> I'm trying to find for a solution and I've googled a little bit and I
> found this web site :
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/[email protected]/
> with your email address and I tried to ask for some help for fixing
> the bug. Any ideas why booting the same Linux kernel that results in a
> working X.org display on the bare metal instead as dom0 on Xen would
> cause the display to remain dark, but most other basic functions would
> work, such as network, disk, and USB ? thanks.

Thanks for the detailed description! Good to hear that those boards are
still being used for various projects. I also have Snow Chromebook and
use it for daily tests of linux-next branch.

Frankly speaking I have no idea what might happen wrong. There have been
some changes recently in the Exynos IOMMU driver related to
initialization, maybe your changes related to Xen enabling changed
somehow the order of device initialization during boot. I assume that
the device-tree you use for the bare metal run and Xen enabled run
doesn't differ in the areas describing the hardware blocks.

Please check if cherry-picking the commit
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/bbc4d205d93f52ee18dfa7858d51489c0506547f
to your v6.1.59 based kernel helps anyhow.

If not, then as a temporary workaround please disable
CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS_MIXER and CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS_HDMI in your kernel config
and check what will happen (You will lose the HDMI output, but maybe
this won't a big issue).

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski, PhD
Samsung R&D Institute Poland

2023-10-31 18:16:34

by Krzysztof Kozlowski

On 31/10/2023 01:04, Mario Marietto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are a team of linux enthusiasts who are trying to boot Xen on a
> Samsung XE303C12 Chromebook aka "snow"
> following the suggestions in the slide show presentation here:
>
> https://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/xpds16-porting-xen-on-arm-to-a-new-soc-julien-grall-arm
>
> This device uses an exynos5250 SOC dual core 1.7 GHz with 2 MB RAM, it is
> a Samsung armv7 chip with virtualization extensions.
>
> In particular, we have it working fairly well both on the bare metal with
> a recent 6.1.59 Linux LTS kernel and also with a recent 5.4.257 LTS

Oh, these are old... Although there should be no noticeable changes
against v6.1.

v5.4 is not recent. It is four years old!

> kernel with KVM, the older LTS kernel version is used to test KVM because
> support for KVM on arm v7 was removed from Linux around kernel version
> 5.7. So we know we have the hypervisor mode enabled because we were able
> to use it with KVM.
>
> For Xen, we are using the latest Debian build of Xen 4.17 for the Debian
> armhf architecture:

> In this case,the kernel is able to use the exynos-drm kernel to start
> the fb0 device. But with Xen we get this error with exynos-drm:
>
> devuan-bunsen kernel: [drm] Exynos DRM: using 14400000.fimd device for
> DMA mapping operations
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: bound 14400000.fimd (ops
> 0xc0d96354)
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-mixer 14450000.mixer:
> [drm:exynos_drm_register_dma] *ERROR* Device 14450000.mixer lacks
> support for IOMMU

Hi Mario,

I don't test DRM on my Exynos boards, so my knowledge is limited, but
isn't this the answer?

> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: failed to bind
> 14450000.mixer (ops 0xc0d97554): -22
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: adev bind failed: -22
> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-dp: probe of 145b0000.dp-controller
> failed with error -22

And that's the final confirmation that display did not probe successfully.

> Any ideas why booting the same Linux kernel that results in a working
> X.org display on the bare metal instead as dom0 on Xen would cause the
> display to remain dark, but most other basic functions would work, such
> as network, disk, and USB ? thanks.

BTW, it's usually good to Cc the maintainer as well, not only the
mailing list :). scripts/get_maintainer.pl will tell you the maintainers
of Exynos and Exynos DRM.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

2023-11-01 07:50:02

by Chuck Zmudzinski

On 10/31/2023 8:08 AM, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> [...]
>> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-drm exynos-drm: adev bind failed: -22
>> devuan-bunsen kernel: exynos-dp: probe of 145b0000.dp-controller
>> failed with error -22
>>
>> I'm trying to find for a solution and I've googled a little bit and I
>> found this web site :
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/[email protected]/
>> with your email address and I tried to ask for some help for fixing
>> the bug. Any ideas why booting the same Linux kernel that results in a
>> working X.org display on the bare metal instead as dom0 on Xen would
>> cause the display to remain dark, but most other basic functions would
>> work, such as network, disk, and USB ? thanks.
>

> Thanks for the detailed description! Good to hear that those boards are
> still being used for various projects. I also have Snow Chromebook and
> use it for daily tests of linux-next branch.

Adding Julien Grall and Stefano Stabellini

Hi Marek,

Thanks for responding to Mario's question. I also have been doing these
experiments with a Chromebook Snow, and I am the one who reported this
problem on the xen-users ML here:

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2023-10/msg00021.html

You might find that thread interesting, especially here with some additional
log messages from the exynos_drm driver (exynos_drm_dma.c, I believe):

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2023-10/msg00032.html

This issue is also discussed some on the xen-devel ML here:

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2023-11/msg00003.html

> Frankly speaking I have no idea what might happen wrong. There have been
> some changes recently in the Exynos IOMMU driver related to
> initialization, maybe your changes related to Xen enabling changed
> somehow the order of device initialization during boot. I assume that
> the device-tree you use for the bare metal run and Xen enabled run
> doesn't differ in the areas describing the hardware blocks.
>
> Please check if cherry-picking the commit
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/bbc4d205d93f52ee18dfa7858d51489c0506547f
> to your v6.1.59 based kernel helps anyhow.

I tried adding that fix of the exynos IOMMU initialization from
Linux > 6.2 on top of the 6.1.59 kernel I used for the original report,
but that made no difference on Xen - it still failed with the mixer lacks
support for IOMMU message and the screen is totally dark.

> If not, then as a temporary workaround please disable
> CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS_MIXER and CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS_HDMI in your kernel config
> and check what will happen (You will lose the HDMI output, but maybe
> this won't a big issue).

This change causes the GPU to work fairly well AFAICS. Removing the mixer
and HDMI allowed the GPU to initialize, and the display manager started
normally and enabled logging into an ordinary X11 session. Based on the log
messages I was seeing, this was an obvious thing to try. Thanks for
suggesting it.

But I have a question:

How are the mixer and HDMI devices related to the main drm device? The problem
in the exynos_drm_dma driver was that on Xen, the main drm device wanted to
use IOMMU version of dma_ops, but the mixer (and probably also the HDMI if
it wouldn't have exited first) wanted to use the Xen swiotlb version of dma_ops,
but on bare metal all three devices want to use the IOMMU version of dma_ops.

The problem obviously has something to do with the fact that Xen does not
expose the same IOMMU capability to Linux as is available when running on
the bare metal.

Cheers,

> Best regards

2023-11-01 12:38:17

by Mario Marietto

Hi Marek,

I would like to recompile and install the kernel 6.6 on my ARM
Chromebook. I would like to know if your patch has been accepted and
included there. Thanks.

--
Mario.