2007-01-24 18:27:11

by Martin Bligh

Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit

On 1/24/07, Martin Bligh <[email protected]> wrote:
> Two years ago, maddog tried to convince me that Brazil would be a
> perfect place to hold a kernel summit, and that the Brazillian
> government was 100% behind linux, and could provide a wonderful
> location, yadda, yadda, yadda. What I told him was that the only way
> I could imagine it working would be if the Brazillian government was
> willing to pay travel costs for all 80+ kernel summit attendees to fly
> from whatever their home airport to Brazil. That way, we don't have
> to deal with the pushback from corporate travel budget keepers for
> having to pay $$$ for travel to places around the world. When I told
> maddog that, presumably he went back to his Brazillian contacts and we
> never heard back from him about moving the kernel summit to Brazil again. :-)
>
> I would suspect it would be a similar issue with India. I'd love to
> have the opportunity to visit Bangalore (or should I say Bengaluru? :-).
> I also know that it's extremely unlikely that my employer would agree
> to pay for me to fly there, not to mention all of the other folks that
> would need to go to the K-S. But hey, if you think that there are
> organizations in India who would be willing to pay travel for _all_ of
> the K-S attendees (preferably business class travel :-), let's
> talk....

It's not just the cost of travel by any means - the extra travel time and
jetlag involved is huge - having everybody sleep through a conference is
distinctly less productive.

One of the advantages of the EST timezone locations is that it's at least
reasonably central to most of the players involved. Obviously, wherever
we hold it, some people get screwed ... the question is what screws
the fewest people the least. Personally, I'd prefer PST for purely selfish
reasons, but ... ;-)

2007-01-24 19:47:48

by Scott Preece

On 1/24/07, Martin Bligh <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's not just the cost of travel by any means - the extra travel time and
> jetlag involved is huge - having everybody sleep through a conference is
> distinctly less productive.
>
> One of the advantages of the EST timezone locations is that it's at least
> reasonably central to most of the players involved. Obviously, wherever
> we hold it, some people get screwed ... the question is what screws
> the fewest people the least. Personally, I'd prefer PST for purely selfish
> reasons, but ... ;-)
---

Hmm - Sounds like it needs to go to Halifax! [I was going to suggest
Reykjavik, but was surprised to see it was in the same time zone as
the UK.]

I wonder what the geographic center of the kernel community is.
Somebody with boundless energy could harvest the mail headers from
LKML, remove duplicates, and figure out the temporal center from the
timezone information in the headers, but I don't know an easy way to
get to air-mile distances...

scott

2007-01-24 21:27:05

by Alan Cox

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 01:47:45PM -0600, Scott Preece wrote:
> Hmm - Sounds like it needs to go to Halifax! [I was going to suggest
> Reykjavik, but was surprised to see it was in the same time zone as
> the UK.]

Reykjavik is a fantastic place with some truely wonderful Linux folks. As to
the timezone, well winter is mostly dark, summer is mostly light so time
zones don't matter 8)

2007-01-26 21:47:20

by H. Peter Anvin

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 01:47:45PM -0600, Scott Preece wrote:
>> Hmm - Sounds like it needs to go to Halifax! [I was going to suggest
>> Reykjavik, but was surprised to see it was in the same time zone as
>> the UK.]
>
> Reykjavik is a fantastic place with some truely wonderful Linux folks. As to
> the timezone, well winter is mostly dark, summer is mostly light so time
> zones don't matter 8)

Reykjavik is also quite easy to travel to from USA and Europe. From
elsewhere, it generally means going through one of those locales.

One major benny is that Icelandair lets you treat up to a week in
Iceland as a "stopover" of a longer trip.

-hpa