2006-03-02 15:59:34

by [email protected]

Subject: Compenstating for clock drift

>From my logs I can see that my system clock is consistently drifting
about 3 seconds every 24hrs and ntp is faithfully correcting it. Can
the kernel track long term data like this and insert/remove a few
extra ticks to minimize the size of the ntp drift corrections?

--
Jon Smirl

by Nick Warne

Subject: Re: Compenstating for clock drift

On 02/03/06, Jon Smirl <[email protected]> wrote:
> From my logs I can see that my system clock is consistently drifting
> about 3 seconds every 24hrs and ntp is faithfully correcting it. Can
> the kernel track long term data like this and insert/remove a few
> extra ticks to minimize the size of the ntp drift corrections?

ntp should do that anyway - check you have a drift file defined in ntp.conf

# Drift file. Put this in a directory which the daemon can write to.
# No symbolic links allowed, either, since the daemon updates the file
# by creating a temporary in the same directory and then rename()'ing
# it to the file.
#
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift

Over time it will adjust to suit and step the changes gracefully.

Nick