2000-10-05 05:09:11

by Juri Haberland

Subject: Phase tree algorithm defined

I have finally produced something resembling a formal definition of the
phase tree algorithm. As you will see, this algorithm is somewhat
subtle, and not easy to express in clear simple terms. But I think that
I have in fact expressed it clearly in simply. If I have not, I wish
very much to be told so, and why.

You can get a copy here:

http://innominate.org/~phillips/tux2/phase.tree.algorithm.txt

Please, if you are especially anal and nasty and have little regard for
anyone's feelings, read this and complain about every little thing that
is wrong with it, and I will greatly appreciate that. I will also
appreciate comments of the form 'you left out this or that', or 'this
part sounds like so much bafflegab' and so on.

Enjoy.

--
Daniel

2000-10-05 12:53:01

by Richard J Moore

Subject: Re: Phase tree algorithm defined

Daniel,

This is very valuable - thanks for makeing the effort.

You could enhance you document greatly if you provided a few diagrams to
illustrate the structure, especially the example file system. I'd suggest
converting the document to HTML or XML.

Also, I'd like to understand how the Phase Tree differs from other tree
schemes used by files systems, for example the Modified Patricia Tree used
by HPFS and NTFS. It wasn't quite clear to me how the advantages of
consistency are obtained, but diagrams might help.

Richard Moore - RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd, MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

Daniel Phillips <[email protected]> on
05/10/2000 05:53:30

Please respond to Daniel Phillips <[email protected]>

I have finally produced something resembling a formal definition of the
phase tree algorithm. As you will see, this algorithm is somewhat
subtle, and not easy to express in clear simple terms. But I think that
I have in fact expressed it clearly in simply. If I have not, I wish
very much to be told so, and why.

You can get a copy here:

http://innominate.org/~phillips/tux2/phase.tree.algorithm.txt

Please, if you are especially anal and nasty and have little regard for
anyone's feelings, read this and complain about every little thing that
is wrong with it, and I will greatly appreciate that. I will also
appreciate comments of the form 'you left out this or that', or 'this
part sounds like so much bafflegab' and so on.

Enjoy.

--
Daniel

2000-10-05 13:33:33

by Juri Haberland

[email protected] wrote:
> You could enhance you document greatly if you provided a few diagrams to
> illustrate the structure, especially the example file system. I'd suggest
> converting the document to HTML or XML.

I am currently preparing slides for the ALS presentation next week in
Atlanta, and this should be a start. The assembly of the various parts
of the documentation is in progress.

> Also, I'd like to understand how the Phase Tree differs from other tree
> schemes used by files systems, for example the Modified Patricia Tree used
> by HPFS and NTFS.

Um, I haven't got a clue because I don't know anything about the
internals of either of them. Do you have some relevant details you can
supply?

> It wasn't quite clear to me how the advantages of
> consistency are obtained, but diagrams might help.

:-( OK, I'll go back into the document and try to make it more clear.