2006-05-23 06:11:59

by Keith Owens

Subject: i386 Kconfig options out of order

Options NUMA and EFI in arch/i386/Kconfig depend on ACPI but they
appear before the ACPI option. make oldconfig with no initial setting
for CONFIG_ACPI will prompt for these options, but if you then say No
to CONFIG_ACPI the options will silently be turned off. Conversely if
you turn on CONFIG_ACPI you do not get prompted for the options that
are out of order.

2006-05-23 09:30:55

by Roman Zippel

Subject: Re: i386 Kconfig options out of order

Hi,

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Keith Owens wrote:

> Options NUMA and EFI in arch/i386/Kconfig depend on ACPI but they
> appear before the ACPI option. make oldconfig with no initial setting
> for CONFIG_ACPI will prompt for these options, but if you then say No
> to CONFIG_ACPI the options will silently be turned off.

That's the normal behaviour.

> Conversely if
> you turn on CONFIG_ACPI you do not get prompted for the options that
> are out of order.

What exactly did you do? It works fine here.
Note that due to the "default y" the other options are visible before
ACPI.

bye, Roman

2006-05-23 12:52:43

by Keith Owens

Roman Zippel (on Tue, 23 May 2006 11:30:39 +0200 (CEST)) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Tue, 23 May 2006, Keith Owens wrote:
>
>> Options NUMA and EFI in arch/i386/Kconfig depend on ACPI but they
>> appear before the ACPI option. make oldconfig with no initial setting
>> for CONFIG_ACPI will prompt for these options, but if you then say No
>> to CONFIG_ACPI the options will silently be turned off.
>
>That's the normal behaviour.

Fair enough. I was switching between configs with ACPI=y and ACPI=n,
every time I editted .config to remove the current ACPI setting and ran
oldconfig to insert the new setting, I got prompted for these extra
options. Forward dependencies in configs, yuck.