2002-02-13 22:04:10

by Daniel Schepler

Subject: What does AddrMarkNotFound mean?

Lately, whenever I try to access a certain part of my hard drive, I
get messages like:

Feb 12 21:16:27 localhost kernel: hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Feb 12 21:16:27 localhost kernel: hdc: read_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=34508632, sector=32410984
Feb 12 21:16:27 localhost kernel: ide1: reset: success
Feb 12 21:16:27 localhost kernel: hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Feb 12 21:16:27 localhost kernel: hdc: read_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=34508632, sector=32410984
Feb 12 21:16:27 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:02 (hdc), sector 32410984

except that the first two messages are repeated several more times, at
intervals of a few seconds. Also, during the first bad access, DMA
gets disabled. While this is going on, the system load goes way up,
and I don't seem to be able to do anything else.

Is this typical behavior for a hard drive which has developed bad
blocks? And if I blacklist the affected blocks in the filesystem,
should I also blacklist a few previous blocks in order to avoid
problems with the readahead feature of the IDE drivers?

(I'm not subscribed; please Cc me on replies.)
--
Daniel Schepler "Please don't disillusion me. I
[email protected] haven't had breakfast yet."

2002-02-13 22:33:13

by Alan

Subject: Re: What does AddrMarkNotFound mean?

> Is this typical behavior for a hard drive which has developed bad
> blocks? And if I blacklist the affected blocks in the filesystem,
> should I also blacklist a few previous blocks in order to avoid
> problems with the readahead feature of the IDE drivers?

Its a disk error (it can't find the index marks for a sector). In general
its a bad sign and you might want to check the smart data for the disk.

If you bought an IBM disk within the last 18 months or so check for new
firmware, flash it if so and reformat it before panicing and assuming
the worst.

2002-02-13 23:12:19

by Daniel Pittman

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Is this typical behavior for a hard drive which has developed bad
>> blocks? And if I blacklist the affected blocks in the filesystem,
>> should I also blacklist a few previous blocks in order to avoid
>> problems with the readahead feature of the IDE drivers?
>
> Its a disk error (it can't find the index marks for a sector). In
> general its a bad sign and you might want to check the smart data for
> the disk.
>
> If you bought an IBM disk within the last 18 months or so check for
> new firmware, flash it if so and reformat it before panicing and
> assuming the worst.

Having done precisely that, and ended up owning an IBM hard drive that
has hit exactly this problem, like so many before this, this firmware
upgrade idea is rather appealing. It would be nice to be able to trust
the drive...

...but I can't seem to find the firmware anywhere on the IBM storage
site or, in fact, anywhere. Have you any hints as to where I might
look?

It's a DTLA-307030, made in Hungary, if that makes it easier to help. :)

Thanks,
Daniel

--
What was once called the objective world is a sort of Rorschach ink blot,
into which each culture, each system of science and religion, each type of

2002-02-14 14:20:32

by DevilKin

On Thursday 14 February 2002 00:11, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
> >> Is this typical behavior for a hard drive which has developed bad
> >> blocks? And if I blacklist the affected blocks in the filesystem,
> >> should I also blacklist a few previous blocks in order to avoid
> >> problems with the readahead feature of the IDE drivers?
> >
> > Its a disk error (it can't find the index marks for a sector). In
> > general its a bad sign and you might want to check the smart data for
> > the disk.
> >
> > If you bought an IBM disk within the last 18 months or so check for
> > new firmware, flash it if so and reformat it before panicing and
> > assuming the worst.
>
> Having done precisely that, and ended up owning an IBM hard drive that
> has hit exactly this problem, like so many before this, this firmware
> upgrade idea is rather appealing. It would be nice to be able to trust
> the drive...
>
> ...but I can't seem to find the firmware anywhere on the IBM storage
> site or, in fact, anywhere. Have you any hints as to where I might
> look?

It isn't on the site.

> It's a DTLA-307030, made in Hungary, if that makes it easier to help. :)

The firmware can be found here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/ibmhddtest.htm

I must say that personally I've had this IBM DTLA drive for over 1.5 years
now, and I haven't seen any problems with it whatsoever.
A friend of mine had the same problems (bad sectors), he reformatted the
drive with the IBM drive tool and got rid of all bad sectors.

> Thanks,
> Daniel

Good luck revamping your drive!

DK