2007-05-11 08:06:38

by Roland

Subject: [RFC] - LXR on kernel.org ? was: Re: What tools to use?

Hi !

I like lxr pretty much.
i`m not a programmer, but i often need some information on "what`s the driver version of xyz in latest kernel" or "was this or that feature/patch already being merged" or "i have this line of code in kernel - how does it look in recent kernel , did it change " ?

over the years, i have downloaded tons of kernels for this, very much waste of bandwidth and time - because whenever i need to take a look, i have no recent kernel source around - so i need to download that big thing and go trough that untar orgy. having recent browsable/searchable and easy to find lxr`ed kernel-source online would be really great

i seldom find lxr for current kernels on the net, so i just wonder:
why not adding a link to every kernel an kernel.org kernel, pointing to recent lxr`ed kernel source - or - even better - make lxr`ed kernel source part of kernel.org (so we have "B V VI C Changelog LXR" ) ?

sure, i know kernel.org itself is very busy, but maybe this can be done via dedicated lxr machine/webserver someone is willing to donate !?
for myself, i would happily donate some bucks for this.

roland

List: linux-kernel
Subject: Re: What tools to use?
From: "Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl () gmail ! com>
Date: 2007-05-09 23:16:01
[Download message RAW]

On 10/05/07, Shahbaz Khan <[email protected]> wrote:
> All the experts on this list plz let me know of any good cross
> referencing tool for source code navigation. I have tried LXR but its
> not easy to configure for a rookie like me. Anyother as good as LXR?

lxr is pretty good (glimpse on its own as well can be useful). If you
don't want to set it up yourself, then you could consider to use the
online version at http://lxr.linux.no/

Another good thing is "make ctags" in the kernel source dir - this
will let you quickly jump to declarations etc and back with a few
simple keystrokes in editors like vim.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/ldev/0130091154_64.htm
http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/22/167212&tid=13&tid=47
http://cscope.sourceforge.net/cscope_vim_tutorial.html

"make cscope" is another good option. It'll generate an index usable
by the cscope tool (http://cscope.sourceforge.net/).

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Jesper Juhl

Subject: Re: [RFC] - LXR on kernel.org ? was: Re: What tools to use?

On 11/05/07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I like lxr pretty much.
> i`m not a programmer, but i often need some information on "what`s the driver version of xyz in latest kernel" or "was this or that feature/patch already being merged" or "i have this line of code in kernel - how does it look in recent kernel , did it change " ?

Some of this is often easier to find through git.
See http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html and
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git;a=summary

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Arne Georg Gleditsch

[email protected] writes:
> I like lxr pretty much. i`m not a programmer, but i often need some
> information on "what`s the driver version of xyz in latest kernel" or
> "was this or that feature/patch already being merged" or "i have this
> line of code in kernel - how does it look in recent kernel , did it
> change " ?
>
> over the years, i have downloaded tons of kernels for this, very much
> waste of bandwidth and time - because whenever i need to take a look,
> i have no recent kernel source around - so i need to download that big
> thing and go trough that untar orgy. having recent
> browsable/searchable and easy to find lxr`ed kernel-source online
> would be really great
>
> i seldom find lxr for current kernels on the net, so i just wonder:
> [..]

I maintain the original LXR site at lxr.linux.no, which unfortunately
tends to lag behind quite a bit. This is partly due to lack of time
to keep it current on my part, but also due to the fact that adding
new kernels to the version running on lxr.linux.no is a bit more time
and resource-consuming than it ought to be. Better support for both
incremental indexing and git-based repos is forthcoming, and I hope
the situation will improve a bit with that. I'll keep you posted.

--
Arne.

2007-05-11 12:25:26

by Chris Smith

On 11 May 2007 10:56:33 +0200, Arne Georg Gleditsch
<[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] writes:
> > I like lxr pretty much. i`m not a programmer, but i often need some
> > information on "what`s the driver version of xyz in latest kernel" or
> > "was this or that feature/patch already being merged" or "i have this
> > line of code in kernel - how does it look in recent kernel , did it
> > change " ?
> >
> > over the years, i have downloaded tons of kernels for this, very much
> > waste of bandwidth and time - because whenever i need to take a look,
> > i have no recent kernel source around - so i need to download that big
> > thing and go trough that untar orgy. having recent
> > browsable/searchable and easy to find lxr`ed kernel-source online
> > would be really great
> >
> > i seldom find lxr for current kernels on the net, so i just wonder:
> > [..]
>
> I maintain the original LXR site at lxr.linux.no, which unfortunately
> tends to lag behind quite a bit. This is partly due to lack of time
> to keep it current on my part, but also due to the fact that adding
> new kernels to the version running on lxr.linux.no is a bit more time
> and resource-consuming than it ought to be. Better support for both
> incremental indexing and git-based repos is forthcoming, and I hope
> the situation will improve a bit with that. I'll keep you posted.
>
> --
Now, if you merged the beauty of LXR with the wiki goodness of
kernelnewbies.org, and somehow kept it current <waves hands> that
could be cool.
--
Chris

2007-05-11 13:42:43

by Robin Getz

On Fri 11 May 2007 08:25, Chris Smith pondered:

> Now, if you merged the beauty of LXR with the wiki goodness of
> kernelnewbies.org, and somehow kept it current <waves hands> that
> could be cool.
> --

We made a plugin to dokukwiki - that grabs our maintained kernel source from
our scm system, and display it in our wiki. It helps to see the text
explanation, and the actual up todate code. (no maintenance when code is
updated) It also automatically inserts some links to the scm web interface.

An example is at here:
http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=interrupts#interrupt_discovery

Things to do:
- doesn't support git today - but should be a trivial change
- links to lxr - again pretty trivial
- write a cron that goes through the wiki source daily, poking someone to
check the wiki text when the source changes.

-Robin

2007-05-14 19:44:59

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Fri, 2007-05-11 10:06:17 +0200, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl () gmail ! com> wrote:
> > On 10/05/07, Shahbaz Khan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > All the experts on this list plz let me know of any good cross
> > > referencing tool for source code navigation. I have tried LXR but its
> > > not easy to configure for a rookie like me. Anyother as good as LXR?
> > >
> > lxr is pretty good (glimpse on its own as well can be useful). If you
> > don't want to set it up yourself, then you could consider to use the
> > online version at http://lxr.linux.no/

One "problem" with lxr.linux.no is that it's only updated from time to
time. Maximilian Wilhelm and I added some preliminary GIT support to
LXR, and we're working on a patch to present the list of versions as
drop-down boxes (instead of a long link list.)

This should allow to index all and any tagged versions of the Linux
kernel and present them. However, I don't have a box that's equipped
properly (HDD, CPU as well as network connectivity) to offer such a
setup, but I'd help in setting it up if somebody provides the machine!

You can easily get this information from http://git.kernel.org/git .

> why not adding a link to every kernel an kernel.org kernel,
> pointing to recent lxr`ed kernel source - or - even better -
> make lxr`ed kernel source part of kernel.org (so we
> have "B V VI C Changelog LXR" ) ?

I'd support the idea, but somebody needs to offer a machine or two and
enough bandwidth. (Though I hope that it's used rarely enough so that
only one machine is needed.)

> sure, i know kernel.org itself is very busy, but maybe this can
> be done via dedicated lxr machine/webserver someone is willing
> to donate !?

There's *no* way to add this to the current kernel.org machines.
There's quite some DB access during indexing, and making up the
sources on request takes some CPU cycles, too.

> for myself, i would happily donate some bucks for this.

As I said: If you manage to prepare the box, I'll offer to do the LXR
setup and automate the indexing.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] +49-172-7608481
Signature of: http://perl.plover.com/Questions.html

Attachments:
(No filename) (3.00 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Jon Masters

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 21:44 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 10:06:17 +0200, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl () gmail ! com> wrote:
> > > On 10/05/07, Shahbaz Khan <[email protected]> wrote:

> > why not adding a link to every kernel an kernel.org kernel,
> > pointing to recent lxr`ed kernel source - or - even better -
> > make lxr`ed kernel source part of kernel.org (so we
> > have "B V VI C Changelog LXR" ) ?
>
> I'd support the idea, but somebody needs to offer a machine or two and
> enough bandwidth. (Though I hope that it's used rarely enough so that
> only one machine is needed.)

This is what I was interested in getting setup. I'm away on vacation
this week (I'm currently out on the road to Yosemite and about to have
no email whatsoever), but I just asked an intern of mine to start
looking into it and will followup when I get back next week.

Please keep me copied on any mail.

Jon.