2002-04-23 19:49:29

by Pierre Rousselet

Subject: 2.5.9 - HPT366 ide unexpected interrupts

PIII 650/Abit BE6 HPT366(ide2, ide3)

dmesg gives 482 times the same line :
ide: unexpected interrupt 0 11

sylogd logs the same :
ide: unexpected interrupt 0 11
last message repeated 1820 times
last message repeated 4251 times
last message repeated 272 times
last message repeated 69 times

# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 166782 XT-PIC timer
1: 6631 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
8: 0 XT-PIC rtc
9: 4456 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI, usb-uhci
10: 0 XT-PIC eth0
11: 10854 XT-PIC ide2, ide3
12: 30840 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
15: 1 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 166737
ERR: 0

Pierre
Pierre Rousselet <[email protected]>

by Jarno Paananen

Subject: Re: 2.5.9 - HPT366 ide unexpected interrupts

Pierre Rousselet <[email protected]> writes:

| PIII 650/Abit BE6 HPT366(ide2, ide3)
|
| dmesg gives 482 times the same line :
| ide: unexpected interrupt 0 11
|
| sylogd logs the same :
| ide: unexpected interrupt 0 11
| last message repeated 1820 times
| last message repeated 4251 times
| last message repeated 272 times
| last message repeated 69 times
|
| # cat /proc/interrupts
| CPU0
| 0: 166782 XT-PIC timer
| 1: 6631 XT-PIC keyboard
| 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
| 8: 0 XT-PIC rtc
| 9: 4456 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI, usb-uhci
| 10: 0 XT-PIC eth0
| 11: 10854 XT-PIC ide2, ide3
| 12: 30840 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
| 15: 1 XT-PIC ide1
| NMI: 0
| LOC: 166737
| ERR: 0

I get this same "error" with hpt370 controller (Abit KT7A-RAID),
but only if I have more than one disk attached. I recently added a
second disk to the second controller and got this since. Everything
seems to work ok so it might be only something the ide-driver
doesn't understand when one chip has two ide-busses sharing the
same interrupt. I commented the printk out from ide.c and haven't
had any problems with it.

// Jarno

2002-04-28 16:12:55

by Zlatko Calusic

Jarno Paananen <[email protected]> writes:

> Pierre Rousselet <[email protected]> writes:
>
> | PIII 650/Abit BE6 HPT366(ide2, ide3)
> |
> | dmesg gives 482 times the same line :
> | ide: unexpected interrupt 0 11

I'm having the same problems on dual PIII (VIA chipset) with addon
Promise IDE card:

Apr 24 19:34:51 atlas kernel: ide: unexpected interrupt 1 11

Lots of those...

Looks like it favors additional IDE interfaces. As system appears to
behave sanely, modulo flooded logs, I decided to comment the printk
for the time being.

Ingo, does it have anything to do with your interrupt balancing code?
If you need additional testing, let me know.
--
Zlatko

2002-04-28 19:59:03

by Martin Dalecki

Uz.ytkownik Zlatko Calusic napisa?:
> Jarno Paananen <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Pierre Rousselet <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>| PIII 650/Abit BE6 HPT366(ide2, ide3)
>>|
>>| dmesg gives 482 times the same line :
>>| ide: unexpected interrupt 0 11
>

> I'm having the same problems on dual PIII (VIA chipset) with addon
> Promise IDE card:
>
> Apr 24 19:34:51 atlas kernel: ide: unexpected interrupt 1 11
>
> Lots of those...
>
> Looks like it favors additional IDE interfaces. As system appears to
> behave sanely, modulo flooded logs, I decided to comment the printk
> for the time being.

That's fine and it will be gone in 2.5.11. The message is

> Ingo, does it have anything to do with your interrupt balancing code?
> If you need additional testing, let me know.

No no no. It's really harmless. It is affecting add on interfaces becouse
they are likely to share interrupts with other devices.