2003-01-18 20:41:07

by Steve Lion

Subject: [OT] Whole thing about GNU/Linux and Linux

Would like to first say, I am not a hacker or contributor to the
linux-kernel. The point of this e-mail will probably not effect anything. All I have to say is that all of this arguing about the name GNU/Linux / Linux
must/should come to an end. You all are arguing over a stale point.
People will call it GNU/Linux, people will call it Linux. That's the
end of it. All of this crap being exchanged will result in not one damn
thing. Some people may not get the credit they deserve, but OH WELL,
shit happens. Let people call it what they want. All of you will just
keep going back and forth over your own view of the subject, and still,
nothing good will be at the end. You can keep making comment on this
or not, but the argument will never end. Neither side will win.

-SL

I am simply a person who uses the Linux operating system. Nothing else.

2003-01-18 21:46:54

by iain d broadfoot

Subject: Re: [OT] Whole thing about GNU/Linux and Linux

* Steve Lion ([email protected]) wrote:
> I am simply a person who uses the Linux operating system. Nothing else.

personally, i'm using the debian operating system...

most of the issues around this are that $MONOPOLY users don't 'get' the
whole linuxy thing, where the kernel is functionally seperate from the
userland stuff. calling the operating system linux, or even gnu/linux,
is hopelessly inaccurate - the user runs gnu/bsd/blahblahblahblah
software on a system consisting of a linux kernel, plus whatever stuff
the distribution they installed chose to use to manage their box.
(daemons etc)

if we educate people to the point where they understand the difference
between linux the kernel and linux-using operating systems, i suspect
this problem will largely fade away on its own.

iain

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.

2003-01-19 00:13:36

by Harald Arnesen

iain d broadfoot <[email protected]> writes:

> * Steve Lion ([email protected]) wrote:
>> I am simply a person who uses the Linux operating system. Nothing else.
>
> personally, i'm using the debian operating system...

Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/Hurd or Debian GNU/BSD?
--
Hilsen Harald.

2003-01-19 00:21:52

by iain d broadfoot

* Harald Arnesen ([email protected]) wrote:
> iain d broadfoot <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > * Steve Lion ([email protected]) wrote:
> >> I am simply a person who uses the Linux operating system. Nothing else.
> >
> > personally, i'm using the debian operating system...
>
> Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/Hurd or Debian GNU/BSD?

i'm using the linux kernel.

i'm also running several items not part of debian - kernel patches /
non-free software / phoenix (mmmm yummy) / stuff that i want bleeding
edge style (mplayerplugin, among others).

for a short while, i was using debian gnu/linux, but to me, what is on
my laptop is no longer what is supplied by the debian project. indeed,
the only users who could really be said to be running debian gnu/linux
are those using stable, with stock debian kernels.

i'm still using debian tools for most things (mmm aptitude...).

hth, hand,

iain

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.