2001-12-01 20:23:28

by Gianni Tedesco

Subject: Security issues in 2.4.9 and beyond

Hi guys,

I am putting together a database of errata for Linux 2.4.x. It will have
individual patches for each major bug (at the moment thats just security
flaws) and a mega-patch for each version. I am starting on kernel 2.4.9
for no other reason as this is what I currently use...

This is what I have so far for 2.4.9:
1. Netfilter mac address matching bug
2. ptrace race condition
3. symlink DoS
4. syncookie/netfilter bug
5. Netfilter FTP conntrack bug (can someone confirm this ??)

I have patches only for item 1 at the moment. I can rip out the patch
for 3 and possibly 4. If there is interest I will post a URL to them
here.

Does anyone here know of any other issues in this kernel (or newer
kernels) or have access to any of the patches I am missing? You can mail
patches to me directly if they are big or you feel they are irrelivant
to the list.

Thanks

--
// Gianni Tedesco <[email protected]>
80% of all email is a figment of procmails imagination.

2001-12-01 21:39:22

by Martin Josefsson

Subject: Re: Security issues in 2.4.9 and beyond

#5 was fixed in 2.4.5 I believe.

/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2001-12-18 18:04:41

by Florian Weimer

Martin Josefsson <[email protected]> writes:

> > This is what I have so far for 2.4.9:
> > 1. Netfilter mac address matching bug
> > 2. ptrace race condition
> > 3. symlink DoS
> > 4. syncookie/netfilter bug
> > 5. Netfilter FTP conntrack bug (can someone confirm this ??)
>
> #5 was fixed in 2.4.5 I believe.

There are rumours about a buffer overflow in the PASV command, which
was silently fixed (it's not related to earlier FTP connection
tracking problems which could lead to filter evasion).

--
Florian Weimer [email protected]
University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/