2007-01-30 00:22:20

by Ben Pfaff

Subject: slow module build--what am I doing wrong?

When I modify a source file or two that belong to a particular
module, and then rebuild just that module with "make
dir1/dir/module.ko" (e.g.), the build system spends a couple of
minutes grinding away on "MODPOST" operations. Am I doing
something wrong? Is there a way to avoid this? It slows down my
build-and-test cycle quite a bit.

Thanks!
--
Ben Pfaff
[email protected]

2007-01-30 02:05:22

by Ben Pfaff

Subject: Re: slow module build--what am I doing wrong?

Ben Pfaff <[email protected]> writes:

> When I modify a source file or two that belong to a particular
> module, and then rebuild just that module with "make
> dir1/dir/module.ko" (e.g.), the build system spends a couple of
> minutes grinding away on "MODPOST" operations. Am I doing
> something wrong? Is there a way to avoid this? It slows down my
> build-and-test cycle quite a bit.

I was privately emailed a suggestion to use "make M=dir1/dir"
instead of "make dir1/dir/module.ko". It helps a great deal.
--
Ben Pfaff
[email protected]