2003-07-28 02:04:21

by Marino Fernandez

Subject: Memory runs out fast with 2.6.0-test2 (and test1)

Everything works OK in my system... my only gripe is that I run out of memory
quickly. I have a Fujitsu C-7651 Lifebook laptop, Pentium III, 512 Mb Ram,
300 Mb swap.

When I start up (with KDE) I've alredy used 300 megs of ram. The if I open
mozilla, and view some phostos with kuickshow, thats it, I use 700 Megs of
physical and virtual memory...

Looking at ps aux shows that 5% goes to each of the 5 mozilla processes, 3%
for this, 2% for that... It is all accounted for in different ways. It is
just that running under 2.4.21, with the same programs I very rarely use my
swap memory, let alone use all my physical and swap memory.

PS
I had the same issue with test1.

PPS
Could it be that I am doing something stupid when I configure the kernel...
This is what I have in my config file.. may be config_nohighmem?:

# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE=m
CONFIG_X86_MSR=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=m
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y

2003-07-28 03:43:55

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: Memory runs out fast with 2.6.0-test2 (and test1)

Marino Fernandez <[email protected]> wrote:

> Everything works OK in my system... my only gripe is that I run out of memory
> quickly.

Please monitor /proc/meminfo and /proc/slabinfo, see if you can work out
where the memory has gone and post the results.

What filesystems are you using there?

2003-07-28 04:20:49

by Marino Fernandez

On Sunday 27 July 2003 10:59 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Marino Fernandez <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Everything works OK in my system... my only gripe is that I run out of
> > memory quickly.
>
> Please monitor /proc/meminfo and /proc/slabinfo, see if you can work out
> where the memory has gone and post the results.
>
> What filesystems are you using there?

ext3

The rest of the info is attached

Attachments:
(No filename) (404.00 B)
filesystems (862.00 B)
meminfo and slabinfo (13.07 kB)

by Andrew Morton

Marino Fernandez <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sunday 27 July 2003 10:59 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Marino Fernandez <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Everything works OK in my system... my only gripe is that I run out of
> > > memory quickly.
> >
> > Please monitor /proc/meminfo and /proc/slabinfo, see if you can work out
> > where the memory has gone and post the results.
> >
> > What filesystems are you using there?
>
> ext3
>
> The rest of the info is attached

I see no problem. There are no large unreclaimable caches, there has been
no swapout.

Either you need to describe the problem a little more completely, or the
info which you sent was not gathered at the correct time.

2003-07-28 07:56:29

by Alex Tomas

BTW, there is specific case. after umount all leaked buffer_heads get
removed from accounting. so, you won't find them in /proc/meminfo and
/proc/slabinfo.