2013-03-24 10:30:24

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: Caps lock XOR on multiple keyboards?

Hi!
On Mon 2012-12-03 23:58:48, Alan Cox wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2012 16:19:11 -0500
> "George Spelvin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > (Not sure who owns this; Cc: to the last few people to touch
> > drivers/tty/vt/keyboard.c.)
>
> linux-input is probably the best place to discuss this

Added few more ccs. Yes, I see that too, in kernels such as debian
2.6.32. It may be even older than that, but I was not using docking
heavily in the old days.

Symptoms for me are that pretty often capslock LED will start show
opposite of true capslock state. I normally use X these days.

(Other problem seems to be that keyboard LEDs are not updated on
keyboard hotplug.)

There is patch to drive keyboard LEDs through LED subsystem, perhaps
that would be good idea?

Pavel

by Pavel Machek

On Sun 2013-03-24 11:30:18, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
> On Mon 2012-12-03 23:58:48, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On 3 Dec 2012 16:19:11 -0500
> > "George Spelvin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > (Not sure who owns this; Cc: to the last few people to touch
> > > drivers/tty/vt/keyboard.c.)
> >
> > linux-input is probably the best place to discuss this
>
> Added few more ccs. Yes, I see that too, in kernels such as debian
> 2.6.32. It may be even older than that, but I was not using docking
> heavily in the old days.
>
> Symptoms for me are that pretty often capslock LED will start show
> opposite of true capslock state. I normally use X these days.

Ok... so it is:

Each capslock key only controls the local LED, but affects global
state.

So I turn on capslock on PS/2 keyboard its led is on. But I type on
USB keyboard, its capslock led is off, but I type in all caps. Oops.

Pavel

by Samuel Thibault

Hello,

I can confirm that things go fine on the Linux console. There is just
one state, which is shown on all keyboards. This is really a bug in
Xorg, please report the issue there.

Pavel Machek, le Sun 24 Mar 2013 11:30:18 +0100, a ?crit :
> There is patch to drive keyboard LEDs through LED subsystem, perhaps
> that would be good idea?

My patch won't fix the issue for Xorg, but it'd still be a good thing to
at last apply it :)

Samuel

2013-03-26 16:54:55

by Peter Korsgaard

Samuel> Pavel Machek, le Sun 24 Mar 2013 11:30:18 +0100, a écrit :
>> There is patch to drive keyboard LEDs through LED subsystem, perhaps
>> that would be good idea?

Samuel> My patch won't fix the issue for Xorg, but it'd still be a good
Samuel> thing to at last apply it :)

Agreed.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard