2004-11-04 16:02:33

by linux-os

Subject: Linux-2.6.9 won't allow a write to a NTFS file-system.

Hello anybody maintaining NTFS,

I can't write to a NTFS file-system.

/proc/mounts shows it's mounted RW:
/dev/sdd1 /mnt ntfs rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1 0 0

.config shows RW support.

CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

Errno is 1 (Operation not permitted), even though root.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

2004-11-04 16:48:38

by Giuseppe Bilotta

linux-os wrote:

> Hello anybody maintaining NTFS,
>
> I can't write to a NTFS file-system.
>
> /proc/mounts shows it's mounted RW:
> /dev/sdd1 /mnt ntfs rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1 0 0
>
> .config shows RW support.
>
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
> # CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
>
> Errno is 1 (Operation not permitted), even though root.

What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
long as its size doesn't change.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense
Expressed in dollar and cents
Pounds shillings and pence
(Roger Waters)

2004-11-04 17:15:49

by linux-os

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> linux-os wrote:
>>
>> Hello anybody maintaining NTFS,
>>
>> I can't write to a NTFS file-system.
>>
>> /proc/mounts shows it's mounted RW:
>> /dev/sdd1 /mnt ntfs rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1 0 0
>>
>> .config shows RW support.
>>
>> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
>> # CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
>> CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
>>
>> Errno is 1 (Operation not permitted), even though root.
>
> What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
> allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
> long as its size doesn't change.
>
> --
> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
(no permission for root) under Linux.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

2004-11-04 17:42:35

by Giuseppe Bilotta

linux-os wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> > linux-os wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello anybody maintaining NTFS,
> >>
> >> I can't write to a NTFS file-system.
> >>
> >> /proc/mounts shows it's mounted RW:
> >> /dev/sdd1 /mnt ntfs rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1 0 0
> >>
> >> .config shows RW support.
> >>
> >> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
> >> # CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
> >> CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
> >>
> >> Errno is 1 (Operation not permitted), even though root.
> >
> > What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
> > allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
> > long as its size doesn't change.
>
> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
> file-systems.

So am I.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense
Expressed in dollar and cents
Pounds shillings and pence
(Roger Waters)

2004-11-04 17:50:42

by Mathieu

linux-os <[email protected]> disait derni?rement que :

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>

> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing?

yes

> I'm talking about
> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
> file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
> and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
> my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
> writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
> (no permission for root) under Linux.

Taken from kernel help in *config:
"The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without changing
the file length. No file or directory creation, deletion or renaming is
possible..."

Best,

Mathieu

--
<WeirdArms> erikm: bugger alan cox on a chip, I want alan cox in a book ;)

- Adam Wiggins on #kernelnewbies

2004-11-04 22:43:31

by linux-os

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, linux-os wrote:

>>> What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
>>> allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
>>> long as its size doesn't change.
>>
>> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
>> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
>> file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
>> and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
>> my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
>> writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
>> (no permission for root) under Linux.
>
> You must have had it formatted as VFAT in the past. There is now way you
> were writing to an NTFS drive from Linux (unless you were using Captive
> NTFS or one of the commercially available drivers).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton

I thought maybe that was so, so I tried to format it as a
FAT-32 drive and W$ complained that it was too large. So
I thought, I would just partition it, but I never partitioned
it to two logical drives before before so I don't know
what's changed (it's W/2000). Right now, I am partitioning
it to two slices and formatting it with FAT-32.

I've been using this since linux had USB and Firewire
controllers. I really don't know what has changed.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

2004-11-04 23:06:34

by Anton Altaparmakov

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, linux-os wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> > linux-os wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello anybody maintaining NTFS,
> > >
> > > I can't write to a NTFS file-system.
> > >
> > > /proc/mounts shows it's mounted RW:
> > > /dev/sdd1 /mnt ntfs
> > > rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1
> > > 0 0
> > >
> > > .config shows RW support.
> > >
> > > CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
> > > # CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
> > > CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
> > >
> > > Errno is 1 (Operation not permitted), even though root.
> >
> > What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
> > allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
> > long as its size doesn't change.
>
> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
> file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
> and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
> my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
> writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
> (no permission for root) under Linux.

You must have had it formatted as VFAT in the past. There is now way you
were writing to an NTFS drive from Linux (unless you were using Captive
NTFS or one of the commercially available drivers).

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

2004-11-04 23:06:34

by Anton Altaparmakov

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, linux-os wrote:

> > > What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
> > > allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
> > > long as its size doesn't change.
> >
> > Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
> > the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
> > file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
> > and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
> > my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
> > writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
> > (no permission for root) under Linux.
>
> You must have had it formatted as VFAT in the past. There is now way you

s/now/no/

> were writing to an NTFS drive from Linux (unless you were using Captive
> NTFS or one of the commercially available drivers).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

2004-11-05 11:58:12

by Horst H. von Brand

linux-os <[email protected]> said:

[...]

> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
> file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
> and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
> my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
> writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
> (no permission for root) under Linux.

Looks like you reformated from the original VFAT (== Win9x) to NTFS.

by linux-os

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Horst von Brand wrote:

> linux-os <[email protected]> said:
>
> [...]
>
>> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
>> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
>> file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
>> and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
>> my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
>> writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
>> (no permission for root) under Linux.
>
> Looks like you reformated from the original VFAT (== Win9x) to NTFS.
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513

The plot thickens. My 2.4.x system had the ntfs.sys adapter module.
I just re-partitioned and re-formatted the drive to FAT-32.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

2004-11-05 14:44:53

by Rahul Karnik

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:38:53 -0500 (EST), linux-os
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I thought maybe that was so, so I tried to format it as a
> FAT-32 drive and W$ complained that it was too large. So
> I thought, I would just partition it, but I never partitioned
> it to two logical drives before before so I don't know
> what's changed (it's W/2000). Right now, I am partitioning
> it to two slices and formatting it with FAT-32.

Note that mkfs.vfat will format up to the maximum size allowed by the
FAT32 spec, rather than the 32 GB limit imposed by Windows. I am using
a 120 GB VFAT partition to share data between Windows and Linux.

Thanks,
Rahul