2003-03-27 16:13:08

by Christian Laursen

Subject: / listed twice in /proc/mounts

The other day, I upgraded the components of a software package
that I maintain, including updating the kernel from 2.4.18 to
2.4.20.

I noticed something strange: / is now listed twice in /proc/mounts
like this

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0

It confused one of my scripts, so I had to implement a quick workaround.

Is this a feature or a bug?

--
Best regards
Christian Laursen

2003-03-27 21:05:00

by Ken Moffat

Subject: Re: / listed twice in /proc/mounts

On 27 Mar 2003, Christian Laursen wrote:

> The other day, I upgraded the components of a software package
> that I maintain, including updating the kernel from 2.4.18 to
> 2.4.20.
>
> I noticed something strange: / is now listed twice in /proc/mounts
> like this
>
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
>
> It confused one of my scripts, so I had to implement a quick workaround.
>
> Is this a feature or a bug?

Is your /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/mounts ? That is generally
thought not to be a good idea.

Ken

by Christian Laursen

Ken Moffat <[email protected]> writes:

> On 27 Mar 2003, Christian Laursen wrote:
>
> > The other day, I upgraded the components of a software package
> > that I maintain, including updating the kernel from 2.4.18 to
> > 2.4.20.
> >
> > I noticed something strange: / is now listed twice in /proc/mounts
> > like this
> >
> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> > /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> >
> > It confused one of my scripts, so I had to implement a quick workaround.
> >
> > Is this a feature or a bug?
> >

> Is your /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/mounts ? That is generally
> thought not to be a good idea.

No, I'm running in a minimal environment without all the normal stuff,
so there isn't even an /etc/mtab.

--
Best regards
Christian Laursen

2003-03-27 21:53:35

by Ken Moffat

On 27 Mar 2003, Christian Laursen wrote:

> > Is your /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/mounts ? That is generally
> > thought not to be a good idea.
>
> No, I'm running in a minimal environment without all the normal stuff,
> so there isn't even an /etc/mtab.

Sorry, I didn't even know that could be done in a useable system. I
guess it attracts the same difficulty.

Best Wishes.

by Pierfrancesco Caci

:-> "Ken" == Ken Moffat <[email protected]> writes:

> On 27 Mar 2003, Christian Laursen wrote:
>> The other day, I upgraded the components of a software package
>> that I maintain, including updating the kernel from 2.4.18 to
>> 2.4.20.
>>
>> I noticed something strange: / is now listed twice in /proc/mounts
>> like this
>>
>> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
>> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
>>
>> It confused one of my scripts, so I had to implement a quick workaround.
>>
>> Is this a feature or a bug?
>>

> Is your /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/mounts ? That is generally
> thought not to be a good idea.

I have the same "double root":

# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
[...]

# ls -las /dev/root
0 lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4 Mar 22 15:07 /dev/root -> md/0

# ls -als /etc/mtab
1 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 345 Mar 23 15:55 /etc/mtab

# cat /etc/mtab
/dev/md0 / ext3 rw 0 0
[...]

could it be a 'feature' of devfs, or maybe of raid devices ?

kernel version is 2.4.21-pre5-ac3

Pf

Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:[email protected] - http://gusp.dyndns.org
Firenze - Italia | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
Linux penny 2.4.21-pre5-ac3 #1 Sat Mar 15 22:04:18 CET 2003 i686 GNU/Linux