2024-01-02 11:35:55

by Tasmiya Nalatwad

Subject: [Mainline/linux-next-netdev/net-next/scsi]Dlpar remove, drmgr phb and pci remove operations are failing

Greetings,

 [Mainline/linux-next-netdev/net-next/scsi]Dlpar remove, drmgr phb and
pci remove operations are failing

command ---> chhwres -r io --rsubtype slot -m "managed system name" -o r
--id 6 -l 21030014

output --->

HSCL2929 The dynamic removal of I/O resources failed: The I/O slot
dynamic partitioning operation failed.  Here are the I/O slot IDs that
failed and the reasons for failure:

Jan 02 02:20:22 caDlparCommand:execv to drmgr
Validating PHB DLPAR capability...yes.
Could not find drc index 0x20000014 to add to phb list
There are no DR capable slots on this system
Could not find PHB PHB 20

The OS return code is 3.

Tasmiya Nalatwad
IBM Linux Technology Center

2024-01-02 14:30:38

by Nathan Lynch

Hi,

Tasmiya Nalatwad <[email protected]> writes:
>  [Mainline/linux-next-netdev/net-next/scsi]

What does this mean? Are you reporting this issue against four separate
trees?

> Dlpar remove, drmgr phb and
> pci remove operations are failing
>
> command ---> chhwres -r io --rsubtype slot -m "managed system name" -o r
> --id 6 -l 21030014
>
> output --->
>
> HSCL2929 The dynamic removal of I/O resources failed: The I/O slot
> dynamic partitioning operation failed.  Here are the I/O slot IDs that
> failed and the reasons for failure:
>
> Jan 02 02:20:22 caDlparCommand:execv to drmgr
> Validating PHB DLPAR capability...yes.
> Could not find drc index 0x20000014 to add to phb list
> There are no DR capable slots on this system
> Could not find PHB PHB 20
>
> The OS return code is 3.

This isn't really a useful report to send to kernel mailing lists. This
is a mixture of output from the HMC (Hardware Management Console) and
output from drmgr, a powerpc-specific utility that the HMC invokes
remotely on the host. There's no indication of a kernel problem.

This is just a guess, but please ensure your powerpc-utils package
(which contains drmgr) is reasonably recent. Versions up until something
like 3-4 years ago don't understand the ibm,drc-info properties in the
device tree and may experience failures like this.

If that doesn't help, there is likely some other issue (kernel or not)
to investigate here. Your best route to a resolution is probably to file
an internal bug and make the test environment available to a developer
who can look into it.