2003-01-09 12:39:49

by Nils Petter Vaskinn

Subject: Are linux network drivers really affected by this?

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/412115

they are filled with "garbage" often from previously sent packets. Linux
is mentioned as vulnerable.

Nils Petter Vaskinn

2003-01-10 08:00:52

by andrea.glorioso

npv> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/412115

npv> Summary: Some network drivers don't pad ethernet packets with
npv> nulls, they are filled with "garbage" often from previously
npv> sent packets. Linux is mentioned as vulnerable.

The paper presented by Olaf Arkin (amongst other) points to some parts
of the linux code where this "vulnerability" exists. I think Alan Cox
is working on some patches for his tree. I wonder whether it's better
to null-pad ethernet packets or to fill them with random values
(possibly an overkill, but more resiliant against fingerprinting).

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso [email protected]
Binary Only http://www.binary-only.com/

2003-01-10 10:52:25

by Alan

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 08:08, [email protected] wrote:
> The paper presented by Olaf Arkin (amongst other) points to some parts
> of the linux code where this "vulnerability" exists. I think Alan Cox
> is working on some patches for his tree. I wonder whether it's better
> to null-pad ethernet packets or to fill them with random values
> (possibly an overkill, but more resiliant against fingerprinting).

Most of them will pad with zero. We have a couple of drivers that already
pad with something along the lines of "NetBSD is a cool OS too.."

The -ac tree should have the problem fixed for all the drivers I know have
the problem or may do.

2003-01-10 11:04:31

by andrea.glorioso

ac> Most of them will pad with zero. We have a couple of drivers
ac> that already pad with something along the lines of "NetBSD is
ac> a cool OS too.."

Let's talk about subliminal messages, then. :)

How sensible would it be to have a runtime or compile time option for
choosing between zero padding and random values padding? I think the
variable length of the padding could cause some performance problems,
but I'm no kernel hacker nor cryptography expert.

ac> The -ac tree should have the problem fixed for all the drivers
ac> I know have the problem or may do.

Great.

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso [email protected]
Binary Only http://www.binary-only.com/
Via A. Zanolini, 7/b Tel: +39-348.921.43.79
40126 Bologna Fax: +39-051-930.31.133

2003-01-10 12:09:39

by Denis Vlasenko

On 10 January 2003 13:12, [email protected] wrote:

> ac> Most of them will pad with zero. We have a couple of
> drivers ac> that already pad with something along the lines of
> "NetBSD is ac> a cool OS too.."
>
> Let's talk about subliminal messages, then. :)
>
> How sensible would it be to have a runtime or compile time option
> for choosing between zero padding and random values padding? I
> think the variable length of the padding could cause some
> performance problems, but I'm no kernel hacker nor cryptography
> expert.

Too much work for zero gain
--
vda

2003-01-10 14:46:24

by andrea.glorioso

dv> Too much work for zero gain

`Too much work' refers to coding time or to kernel work?

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso [email protected]
Binary Only http://www.binary-only.com/
Via A. Zanolini, 7/b Tel: +39-348.921.43.79
40126 Bologna Fax: +39-051-930.31.133

2003-01-13 06:58:58

by Denis Vlasenko

On 10 January 2003 16:53, [email protected] wrote:

> dv> Too much work for zero gain
>
> `Too much work' refers to coding time or to kernel work?

Coding.

IMHO:

Zero padding is secure enough.
There is no point spending time coding random
padding, config options, etc.
--
vda

2003-01-13 09:47:55

by andrea.glorioso

dv> On 10 January 2003 16:53, [email protected]
dv> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> >>>>> writes:

dv> Too much work for zero gain
>> `Too much work' refers to coding time or to kernel work?

dv> Coding.

I would have said `kernel work' (although the relative occurrence of
undersized frames is probably low).

dv> IMHO:

dv> Zero padding is secure enough.

Not for fingerprinting, though.

dv> There is no point spending time coding random padding, config
dv> options, etc.

You're probably right.

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso [email protected]
Binary Only http://www.binary-only.com/
Via A. Zanolini, 7/b Tel: +39-348.921.43.79
40126 Bologna Fax: +39-051-930.31.133

2003-01-14 01:11:11

by Miles Bader

[email protected] writes:
> ac> Most of them will pad with zero. We have a couple of drivers
> ac> that already pad with something along the lines of "NetBSD is
> ac> a cool OS too.."
>
> Let's talk about subliminal messages, then. :)

How about `Printer on fire'?

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us. -- Pogo

2003-01-18 14:00:50

by folkert

> ac> Most of them will pad with zero. We have a couple of drivers
> ac> that already pad with something along the lines of "NetBSD is
> ac> a cool OS too.."
>> Let's talk about subliminal messages, then. :)
>How about `Printer on fire'?

I vote for padding with"

"Linus is god!"
Repeating the exclamation-mark as much as needed.

Folkert
http://www.vanheusden.com