2007-08-02 14:47:00

by Marc Perkel

Subject: Re: Woke up to a crashed kernet this morning - nVidia is crap

OK - so the driver I downloaded from nVidia to fix
their problem I was having with the video installed
drivers for everything? I'm really getting to dislike
nVidia.

--- Michal Piotrowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Nvidia binary crap
>
> " When you are using a binary driver, the kernel
> is "tainted",
> which means that the source
> of possible problems may be unrelated to the kernel
> code (see
> https://secure-support.

novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/250/3582750_f.SAL_Public.html
> for more de-
> tails). You can check whether or not the kernel was
> tainted when the
> problem occurred by
> looking at the corresponding error message. If can
> you see something
> similar to the following
> line:
> EIP: 0060:[<c046c7c3>] Tainted: P
> VLI
> (the word Tainted is crucial here), the kernel was
> tainted and most
> probably the kernel
> developers will not be able to help you. In that
> case you should try
> to reproduce the problem
> without the binary driver loaded. Moreover, if the
> problem does not
> occur without it, you
> should send a bug report to the creators of the
> binary driver and ask
> them to fix it.
> In the file Documentation/oops-tracing.txt,
> included in the kernel
> sources, there is a
> list of reasons why the kernel can be considered as
> tainted. As
> follows from this document,
> the presence of a binary module is not the only
> possible reason of
> tainting the kernel, but
> in practice it turns out to be the most frequent
> one. Generally, you
> should avoid reporting
> problems in tainted kernels to the LKML (or to the
> kernel developers
> in general) and the
> problems related to binary drivers should be
> reported to their providers."
>
> -- Linux Kernel Tester's Guide
>
> Regards,
> Michal
>
> --
> LOG
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/log/

http://sims.yahoo.com/

2007-08-02 15:09:21

by Lennart Sorensen

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:46:49AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> OK - so the driver I downloaded from nVidia to fix
> their problem I was having with the video installed
> drivers for everything? I'm really getting to dislike
> nVidia.

It installs a kernel module just for the video card. Nothing else. But
being a kernel module means any bugs in it could mess up other stuff in
the kernel.

Now if you can reproduce the crash without the nvidia module, then you
have something to report. For what it is worth, it seems the nvidia
module has very rarely been the cause of crashes, but since you can
never tell, it is best to reproduce the problem without it to be sure.

--
Len Sorensen