2003-02-04 18:17:06

by Banai Zoltan

Subject: CPU detection

Hi!

I have a Toshiba Satelite S2210CDT.
There is a problem with detecting CPU frequency.
It runs on 258Mhz, but it is an 500Mhz Celeron kernels 2.4.19-pre7-ac4
and 2.4.20.
i attach the configs and the output of lscpi, /proc/cpu
--
Udv,
Banai Zoltan

Attachments:
(No filename) (251.00 B)
conf (21.27 kB)
cpu (372.00 B)
pci (729.00 B)

by Alan

Subject: Re: CPU detection

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 18:26, Banai Zoltan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a Toshiba Satelite S2210CDT.
> There is a problem with detecting CPU frequency.
> It runs on 258Mhz, but it is an 500Mhz Celeron kernels 2.4.19-pre7-ac4
> and 2.4.20.
> i attach the configs and the output of lscpi, /proc/cpu

I trust our measuring code. Most likely the laptop has speedstep so is
running at 250Mhz to save power. If you've got a currentish -ac kernel
you can load the speedstep cpufreq support and flip the CPU between fast
and slow mode as you want. In some cases APM will also do the work for
you

2003-02-04 22:40:55

by Shureih, Tariq

Did you check the obvious such as your BIOS is set to the right cpu
frequency?
It's possible you BIOS was reset and the CPU multiplier is not set
correctly.

When the system boots, what does the BIOS report the CPU as?
Intel Celeron running at: ??

Try that first.

--
Tariq Shureih
Intel Corporation

There is a problem with detecting CPU frequency.
It runs on 258Mhz, but it is an 500Mhz Celeron kernels 2.4.19-pre7-ac4
and 2.4.20.
i attach the configs and the output of lscpi, /proc/cpu
--
Udv,
Banai Zoltan

2003-02-05 11:02:35

by Bruno Ducrot

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:01:16PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 18:26, Banai Zoltan wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a Toshiba Satelite S2210CDT.
> > There is a problem with detecting CPU frequency.
> > It runs on 258Mhz, but it is an 500Mhz Celeron kernels 2.4.19-pre7-ac4
> > and 2.4.20.
> > i attach the configs and the output of lscpi, /proc/cpu
>
> I trust our measuring code. Most likely the laptop has speedstep so is
> running at 250Mhz to save power. If you've got a currentish -ac kernel
> you can load the speedstep cpufreq support and flip the CPU between fast
> and slow mode as you want. In some cases APM will also do the work for
> you

Celerons do not support speedstep, but BIOS can enable throttling (toshiba
like to make that in order to prevent heat issues), then APM idle calls
can perhaps help I guess.

--
Ducrot Bruno
http://www.poupinou.org Page profaissionelle