2007-01-09 06:58:14

by Sriram V

Subject: compiling linux kernels with gcc 4.x

Hi,
Im unable to compile linux 2.6.14 with gcc 4.x, but new versions of
kernel i can compile.
with gcc 4.x.

It gives errors - that seem to disappear when compiled with gcc - 3.4.x

I really dont understand why?.

Is there anyway we can compile lower versions of linux using gcc 4.x.

Im using a arm-linux-gcc.

Regards,
sriram

2007-01-10 21:56:13

by Bill Davidsen

Subject: Re: compiling linux kernels with gcc 4.x

Ram wrote:
> Hi,
> Im unable to compile linux 2.6.14 with gcc 4.x, but new versions of
> kernel i can compile.
> with gcc 4.x.
>
> It gives errors - that seem to disappear when compiled with gcc - 3.4.x
>

> I really dont understand why?.

There were changes to the kernel to get rid of 4.x problems, that at
least tells you why.

> Is there anyway we can compile lower versions of linux using gcc 4.x.
>
> Im using a arm-linux-gcc.

I can't even give you a guess on that, other than patching your kernel
with individual patches used to avoid compilation problems.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc