2001-02-22 04:17:01

by NeilBrown

Subject: TESTERS PLEASE - improvements to knfsd for 2.4.2

Dear all,
as you may have noticed from earlier postings on these lists, I have
a bunch of patches that change the way knfsd interacts with
filesystems. In particular it makes it possible to export reiserfs
and other modern filesystesm (providing they have been told how to
work with knfsd).

This patch makes some substantial changes to the way knfsd maps a
filehandle into an actual file, and this has been an easy place for
obscure bugs to hide in the past.

So, I am asking for testers. Anyone who is feeling at all
adventurous, and uses knfsd for any filesystem type, and is using 2.4
series kernels: please grab my latest patch, apply it to 2.4.2, and
try it out. Then let me know about any problems.

I am looking forward to seeing lots of downloads and absolutely no
problem reports.... but is seems unlikely.

Alan Cox has suggested that these changes may not be appropriate for
2.4, so we might have to wait for 2.5 to see them on kernel.org, but
we don't have to wait till then to find the bugs.

The jumbo-patch is at
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/2.4.2/patches-A-H-knfsd

The individual bits that make it up can be seen by looking a little
higher in the tree. e.g.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/

The reiserfs code in this patch is from the reiserfs team.

Thankyou,

NeilBrown

Subject: Re: TESTERS PLEASE - improvements to knfsd for 2.4.2

[email protected] (Neil Brown) writes:

> I am looking forward to seeing lots of downloads and absolutely no
> problem reports.... but is seems unlikely.

> Alan Cox has suggested that these changes may not be appropriate for
> 2.4, so we might have to wait for 2.5 to see them on kernel.org, but
> we don't have to wait till then to find the bugs.

Oh, please not again a stable kernel series with NFS problems, we're
locked in for ages. 2.2 was bad enough up to 2.2.18. We have ReiserFS
in 2.4.1 (and not in 2.4.0), could we _please_ get NFS-exportable
ReiserFS in 2.4.4 or 2.4.5?

Yes, will test. :-) Though I won't touch any 2.4 release in production
up to at least 2.4.5 (first really usable 2.0 was around this, first
2.2 too. =:-)

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH [email protected]

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 [email protected]
D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

2001-02-23 18:17:26

by Matthias Andree

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> [email protected] (Neil Brown) writes:
>
> > I am looking forward to seeing lots of downloads and absolutely no
> > problem reports.... but is seems unlikely.
>
> > Alan Cox has suggested that these changes may not be appropriate for
> > 2.4, so we might have to wait for 2.5 to see them on kernel.org, but
> > we don't have to wait till then to find the bugs.
>
> Oh, please not again a stable kernel series with NFS problems, we're
> locked in for ages. 2.2 was bad enough up to 2.2.18. We have ReiserFS
> in 2.4.1 (and not in 2.4.0), could we _please_ get NFS-exportable
> ReiserFS in 2.4.4 or 2.4.5?

2.2.18 is still broken, won't play NFSv3 games with FreeBSD clients.
Neil has posted a patch here which fixes this.

And, ReiserFS messes NFSv3 up, I'm currently switching all my boxes back
to ext2, because I'm really pissed. And if these NFS annoyances
continue, it might be about time to try FreeBSD or NetBSD. Journalling
file systems which hide their files away for maintainer incompetence and
uncoordinated patching around don't buy us anything except continued
"don't use Linux as NFS server" reputation.

2001-02-23 18:32:33

by Alan

> > Oh, please not again a stable kernel series with NFS problems, we're
> > locked in for ages. 2.2 was bad enough up to 2.2.18. We have ReiserFS
> > in 2.4.1 (and not in 2.4.0), could we _please_ get NFS-exportable
> > ReiserFS in 2.4.4 or 2.4.5?
>
> 2.2.18 is still broken, won't play NFSv3 games with FreeBSD clients.
> Neil has posted a patch here which fixes this.

2.2.19pre has all the changes Neil has sent me. One reason I wanted to avoid
NFS changes was that they would do somthings we didnt want. And they did
although nothing too bad.

The 2.2.19 schedule btw is about another week

2001-02-23 20:05:21

by james rich

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Neil Brown) writes:
> >
> > Oh, please not again a stable kernel series with NFS problems, we're
> > locked in for ages. 2.2 was bad enough up to 2.2.18. We have ReiserFS
> > in 2.4.1 (and not in 2.4.0), could we _please_ get NFS-exportable
> > ReiserFS in 2.4.4 or 2.4.5?
>
> 2.2.18 is still broken, won't play NFSv3 games with FreeBSD clients.
> Neil has posted a patch here which fixes this.
>
> And, ReiserFS messes NFSv3 up, I'm currently switching all my boxes back
> to ext2, because I'm really pissed. And if these NFS annoyances
> continue, it might be about time to try FreeBSD or NetBSD. Journalling
> file systems which hide their files away for maintainer incompetence and
> uncoordinated patching around don't buy us anything except continued
> "don't use Linux as NFS server" reputation.

If you need journaled file systems and NFS I have been using XFS and it
seems to be fine when exported over NFS (Yes I know it isn't in the main
kernel - hopefully that changes soon).

James Rich

by Matthias Andree

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> 2.2.19pre has all the changes Neil has sent me. One reason I wanted to avoid
> NFS changes was that they would do somthings we didnt want. And they did
> although nothing too bad.
>
> The 2.2.19 schedule btw is about another week

Nice to hear that's it's in near future.

--
Matthias Andree